New Discussion

Re: SimpliVity Gen9 re-image

SOLVED
Go to solution
jlangmead
Regular Advisor

SimpliVity Gen9 re-image

Hi

I've an old Gen9 Simplivity host (DL380) that I'm wanting to re-image (it's not part of any federation currently) to 4.0.u1 and also with the latest SPP (as per the compatibility marix)  HPE SimpliVity OmniStack Interoperability Guide 4.0.1U1

I plan to just do an offline SPP upgrade by booting from the ISO using iLO virtual media. The installation instructions for the SPP show I should add the 790-000107-LSI-q.iso driver first  - Do I still do it this way if I'm then going to re-image the entire host to 4.0.u1  - Do I boot off the Gen9 firmware ISO to install this firmware update? I I can't boot of the Gen9 ISO I assume I must make sure I apply this firmware update before I re-image the host from 3.7.5 to 4.0.u1.

thanks

For HPE SimpliVity 380 Gen9 

The HPE SimpliVity 380 Gen9 operates in Legacy boot mode only.  All updates should be performed without changing the BIOS boot mode.  Prior to performing any update the system must be in maintenance mode.  Updating the firmware on the SimpliVity 380 Gen9 requires two steps. For specific instructions refer to the appropriate section of the HPE SimpliVity OmniStack Interoperability Guide

1. To update the data storage controller and drives boot the system using 790-000107-LSI-q.iso.  At the command prompt run the following commands in order:
    • sudo su –
    • ./update_fw
    • A system reboot is required to complete this phase of the firmware update.
  2. To update the remaining components follow the process in the next section.

For all HPE SimpliVity Gen9 and Gen10 products

To update the components boot the system using SVTSP-2020_0701.03.iso (Offline mode).  Use of Automatic mode is recommended to complete the installation1.

• Automatic mode - Firmware components will be updated without interaction (including reboot)
  • Interactive mode - Follow the onscreen steps to update firmware components

Booting the ISO will default to Automatic mode if no choice is made from the boot menu.

4 REPLIES 4
gustenar
HPE Pro

Hello @jlangmead 

You still have to do both upgrades even if you are redeploying the nodes. The factory reset image won't do any firmware updates. As stated in your post, one command will update the storage controller firmware and the rest of components are done via the ISO. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Hello

Thanks very much - please can you confirm the correct order please. Currently the node is running OVC version 3.7.5 and ESXi 6.5 U2

If I use the .img file to re-image to 4.0.u1 how do I then apply the firmware image? Can I boot from the 790-000107-lsi-q.iso to install this??

I'm ok with the 2020_0701.03.iso as I boot form this and run the automatic update - but uncertain on how to the 790-000107-lsi-q.iso update first.

many thanks

gustenar
HPE Pro
Solution

@jlangmead 

I'm including a link with instructions on how to upgrade the LSI storage controller: 

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=sf000062189en_us 

You can install this firmware prior to doing the factory reset and then apply the rest of the firmware. 

Hope this helps. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Perfect - just what I needed