1748031 Members
5004 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Simplivity File Restore

bbelew
Advisor

Simplivity File Restore

We are just now implementing Simplivity and I'm wondering if it is possible to allow a least priviledged support technician access to restore files.  It appears so far that the only way I can search the backups is if my user is in the administrator role of our VSphere with access to everything.  Even if I create a new role with full privileges I can't search backups.  Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this?

2 REPLIES 2
DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

@bbelew

Hi, and apologies for the delay in replying to your question.

This is a question which has come up a couple of times recently (outside of this forum)

Unfortunately, there is no way to grant a non-admin user permissions to restore backups.

To allow full functionality regards browsing, restoring, taking backups etc., the user must be a member of the administrators group.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Thanks you,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

MVblogger
Occasional Visitor

Hopefully this helps everyone out there but here is what worked for us.

First off, YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE A VCENTER ADMINISTRATOR to restore via SimpliVity.

Create your AD group(s) for the admins that need to perform vm/file level restores

Create a role and permission it with the level of permission you deem fit to perform their vm administration ( I gave enough rights to power on/off vm's and restricted any modifications of everything else (network stack, datastores etc)

1. VCENTER (top level) --> AD group needs Administrative rights (DO NOT PROPOGATE)
2. DATACENTER OBJECT --> AD group will get the role created above (PROPOGATE DOWN)
3. EVERY OVC VM OBJECT IN VCENTER --> AD group HAS to have the "Administrator" role

The key here was Step 3. Without this, we could not perform any SimplIVity related functions as the SimpliVity meu options would not appear when right clicking a vm object.

I hope this helps!