108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Simplivity Hyper-v switch host machine slow since 3.7.9

SOLVED
Go to solution
jfrobs
Frequent Advisor

Simplivity Hyper-v switch host machine slow since 3.7.9

Since version 3.7.9 and the possibility of having more than 2 machines in the simplivity node, it takes 2h to 2h30 for the viurtals machines to switch from primary owner to secondary owner host.

I would like know if its fixed by the 3.7.10  ?

thanks

7 REPLIES 7
DaveOb
HPE Pro

Did you previously open a support ticket ? Please create a new support ticket in any case to get a definitive answer,.

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
jfrobs
Frequent Advisor

A ticket had been created and the answer was that it came from the new possibility of having more than 2 machines in a node on hyper-v configurations, that it had caused this bug... I sometimes have the impression that clients under simplivity with Hyper V are a bit of a beta tester... in any case I didn't see anything in the changelog of the 3.7.10 that talks about this problem, I even wondered if the support had given the right reason when we opened the Ticket.

robkennedy
HPE Pro

Hi,

With the release of HPE SimpliVity 3.7.9 we allow for cluster size expansion from 2 to 4 nodes per cluster. I assume this is the first reference in your post. In relation to the second point relating to switching from Primary to secondary is this in realtion to Microsoft failover clustering post a failover over event ?

Thanks

Rob

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

jfrobs
Frequent Advisor

Hello Rob, I think we know each other.)

For example, if I have all my machines on the first server and I want to switch one machine to the second. The machine will tip over, but it will take 2 hours or more for it to become an owner.

With the command  ;   dsv-balance-manual  you can show this :

Analyzing guest virtual machine information...

Guest VM   OWNER   NODE 1   NODE 2   IO-R   IO-W   SZ(G)    Name
     1      [  1]   p        s           0      0     50.0   CDMAdm
     2      [  1]   p        s          18      4   2489.4   CDMData
     3      [  1]   p        s           2     38     87.4   CDMDvlpe
     4      [  1]   p        s           4     11     51.3   CDMGit
     5      [  1]   p        s          13     16    360.4   CDMMail
     6      [  1]   p        s           3      1    207.9   CDMMeca
     7      [  2]   s        p           2      3     33.8   CDMOos
     8      [  2]   s        p           0      1    303.9   CDMPDM
     9      [  2]   s        p           0      2     53.0   CDMPointeuse
    10      [  2]   s        p           0      4     61.2   CDMPrinter
    11      [  2]   s        p           0      1     47.1   CDMProjet
    12      [  2]   s        p          11      8     75.9   CDMSkype
    13      [  2]   s        p           9     10     51.9   CDMSkype19

When you put for exemple  CDMSKYPE19  from Node 2 to Node 1 ,  It will take 2 hours or more to change the primary host  .  Before 3.7.9 it was immediate.  During this time, they are no statistic on the HPE simplivity addon of VMM.

robkennedy
HPE Pro

Hello,

Yes we may do   This may potentially be a bug. in 3.7.9. I will run some lab tests here to see if I have the same.

In saying that I have seen this happen in the past on our VMware Solution where a VM is vmotioned and because that VM had limited I/O going on that the swicth over took some time, basically until some I/O was generated

Any possibility that could be happening here, how busy is that VM and is the same happening for other VMs ?

Thanks

Rob

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

jfrobs
Frequent Advisor

Hello Rob,

Its the same happening for other VMs.

But the simplivity was put in 3.7.10 last night, and good news :  The Owner's switchover is very fast . It's all fresh, we're analyzing how it works this morning.

IO-R   and IO-W  are  : "N/A"  when you  switchover, I don't know how long it takes to come back for now, I'm waiting to see 

robkennedy
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

Ok thanks for the update.  Good news then on the 3.7.10 update, It can take some time for those stats to populate.

Thanks

Rob

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo