4070 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Simplivity OVC Upgrades while Veeam backups are running

Brian_Galante
Frequent Advisor

Simplivity OVC Upgrades while Veeam backups are running

Hi All,

I'm about to upgrade my Simplivity OVC's, do I need to pause my Veeam backups during the upgrade?

I'm not backing up the OVC's with Veeam, but I am backing up every other VM that resides on the Simplivity hosts.

3 REPLIES 3
gustenar
HPE Pro

Hello @Brian_Galante 

Thank you for using SimpliVity Forum. 

During the software updates the server has to be evacuated to be able to update the other components (ESXi, firmware) and the OVC needs a restart too. The VMs will continue to run in other nodes so I don't see a need to pause backups. 

Thanks, 

gustenar.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Brian_Galante
Frequent Advisor

I think that's true for a traditional backup software like Netbackup that connects to the operating system in the VM using a TCP socket. But Veeam does a snapshot of the VM while it's backing up. I just did a test, if Veeam is backing up a server and you try to migrate it using the Vsphere client, the "Migrate" option is greyed out, and you need to wait until the backup is finished. 

I am only upgrading the OVC, Arbiter, and Vsphere Plugin during this operation. I will not be upgrading the firmware or ESXi software. So I do not believe the VM's will be evacuated when I'm only upgrading the OVC.  

Randolfini
Frequent Advisor

Hi Brian,

Just went through upgrade from 3.7.10 to 3.7.10 U1 and did not have to evacuate the hosts. It was just upgrade Arbiter, Plugin, OVC.

Good luck!