New Discussion юеВ

Simplivity one-click upgrade requirements

SOLVED
Go to solution
jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Simplivity one-click upgrade requirements

Hi

Please can I confirm what the minimum licences required to allow UM to automate the movement of vm's between hosts during an upgrade?

I'm comfortable with how to download all the necessary components to allow UM to be able to access the ESXi software, OVC software and node firmware etc, and also the need to follow the interop guides etc.

I just want to make sure that if I just have a two node cluster with 20 vm's on each node, that UM will be able to automatically vMotion the vm's between hosts (I just have two hosts). I thought I read that DRS is needed but is this just so IWO can place the vm's intelligently? with just two hosts there isn't any decision to make - they just all move to one host whilst the other is being upgraded.

So is it necessary to manually vmotion all the machines from one host to the other prior to starting UM? or is the vMotion activity done by UM without any user intervention if DRS is not licensed and there is only two nodes in the cluster?

many thanks

3 REPLIES 3
DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Re: Simplivity one-click upgrade requirements

Hi @jlangmead 

Thanks for your query.

Enterprise plus licensing is the minimum required to allow DRS automatically migrate VM's during the fully automated OVC/ESXi/FW upgrade process.

It's mentioned in this video in case you haven't seen it yet:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/videoDisplay?videoId=vtc00000116en_us

Thanks,

DeclanOR

P.S: Moderator Edit: Post edited and replaced with the correct link. 

Accept or Kudo

jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Thanks Declan

I have seen that video but didn't remember the bit where you spoke about the licensing requirements - that answers my question nicely - thanks

Is that because the process simply puts the host into maintenance mode and hence relies on DRS to evacuate the vm's (except the OVC)?

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor
Solution

@jlangmead 

That's exactly why yes.

The fully orchestrated end to end upgrade will go through all necessary reboots of the hosts and place the hosts into maintenance mode also during that process, and therefore leverage DRS to migrate VM's from one host to another during the upgrade. It's great functionality, but requires enterprise plus or higher vSphere licensing.

Thanks,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo