6275 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Simplivity pre-deployment

ictisi
Visitor

Simplivity pre-deployment

Dears all!
We're preparing Simplivity deployment on a single node (version 4.0.1) on a new infrastructure.
To deploy the environment, our supplier asked us 2 tasks for the implementation:

1- Install a Virtual Machine on our current VMware cluster (Separated from the new environment) for the Simplivity Deployment
2- Install a new Vcenter appliance server v6.7 (we already have one vcenter for our cluster, version 6.5) that we'll be migrated into the Simplivity after the initial tasks.

Do you have any idea why would us proceed this way?
I'm scared about deploying a new Vcenter appliance server in our current environment to manage an external infrastructure.

What do you think about ?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
ictisi
Visitor

Re: Simplivity pre-deployment

Please keep in mind that this is our first installation

Thanks!

gustenar
HPE Pro

Hello @ictisi 

Thank you for using Simplivity Forum.

Preferrably you want to set up your vCenter outside the Simplivity federation so in case something happens to the node you still have management capabilities and access to the vCenter. This is a single node and there is no high availability for the Virtual machines. 

Thanks,

gustenar

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Elan08

Hi,

The Virtual Machine is for Installing the Deployment Manager (the tool used to deploy the nodes) and also Arbiter Software ( which acts as a quorum) for the cluster. You can also utilize an existing Windows Server 2016 Machine for the same purpose.

VCenter 6.7 is recommended for SimpliVity Deployment. However vCenter 6.5 is also supported provided the build is compatible with our SimpliVity.

Here is the link for the Interoperability Guide for you to verify your existing vCenter version compatibility with latest version of SimpliVity 4.0.1.

Link: https://psnow.ext.hpe.com/doc/a00095520en_us

Kindly let us know you if have any queries.

Stay safe

I work for HPE
JohnHHaines
HPE Pro

It really depends how you want to manage it.

There is NO requirement for a separate vCenter for SimpliVity, you can use your existing vCenter if it is going to continue to exist posrt-deployment.

That said, a vCenter only interacts with the servers that have been imported/installed in it, so having two would not be an issue - it's just not required (and it's not free).

You do need someplace to run the Arbiter, if you plan to use one (it is REQUIRED for a two node cluster, or stretch cluster, not required for a Single Node, or a cluster of 3 or more nodes). 

You also need someplace to run the Deployment Manager, but that coudl just as easily be your workstation. It's easier for the deployment team to use a new machine for both of these (less worries about conflicts), but it's not required.

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo