108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Simplivity vSphere Plug-IN not working anymore after vCenter reboot

SOLVED
Go to solution
ICPMuenchen
Frequent Advisor

Simplivity vSphere Plug-IN not working anymore after vCenter reboot

We just rebooted our VCSA last night, since then the simplivity Plug-in is not working anymore:
"HPE SimpliVity Plug-in cannot complete the task because it cannot contact the Virtual Controller."

it was working in the past without any issues, and we didnt change anything in our infrastructure.

Another reboot of the VCSA didnt resolve the issue, is there anything which we could check before restarting the omnistack controllers?

We are using Simplivity 3.7.10 and vCenter Version  6.7.0 Build 14070654  and vCenter Plug-In: Version: 17.25.0

Thanks a lot in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
robkennedy
HPE Pro

Within vCenter could you please check the  VM Summary Tab for the OVCs and check the IP addresses. There is a known VMware defect that causes duplication of IP addresses in the Webclient GUI

Typically duplication of the Federation IP, Impacting the functionality of the HPE SmpliVity Plugin

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

ICPMuenchen
Frequent Advisor

yes the ips are shown 3 times:

OmniStackVC-172-16-xx-xx-xx
IP Addresses:
  • 172.16.x.x
  • 172.16.x.x
  • 172.16.x.x

how could this be fixed?

AbhilashPandiri
HPE Pro

1.open the OVC using webconsole do it on all the OVCs.check if you can see all the 3 IPs

2.clear the cache on browser and relogin to the vcenter and check the plugin.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

KGman
HPE Pro

Hi @ICPMuenchen,

There could be several reasons you are seeing the below behaviour, the easiest thing to do firstly would be to try re-installing the plugin. Can you confirm the plugin version you are currently using? The Omnistack 3.7.10 Deployment guide outlines the steps necessary to uninstall/reinstall the plugin if you are unfamiliar with it; 

I will share another handy article to reference should the above fail, it outlines other scenarios to can investigate. here

You may also consider opening a support case with us to delve further in to this as there can be many different scenarios at play here that are at fault.

I hope this helps,

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
robkennedy
HPE Pro
Solution

I'm not aware of a fix right now as this is a VMware issue. If you create a standard new VM within vcenter and assign 3 network adapters to it with 3 different IPs you will be able to reproduce the issue. 

Fortunately the workaround is quite quick and pain free

Simply open the VM console window within the Web client to any impacted  OVCs, this forces vCenter to refresh the IP details.  Sometimes a refresh of the webclient window session is also needed.

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

ICPMuenchen
Frequent Advisor

@robkennedy you are my man!

this worked! now the plugin is working again, thanks a lot for the super fast response!

robkennedy
HPE Pro

you're welcome, glad I could help, have a nice day

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Praveen_M
HPE Pro

Refreshing the OVC VM should fix the issue as there is know issue in vCenter client.

If the plugins are not working, first kindly check the IP duplication is not happaned in the OVC VM.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

ctsmith
Occasional Visitor

Worked for me as well. Thank you!