New Discussion

Upgrade Manager behaviour

SOLVED
Go to solution
J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

Upgrade Manager behaviour

Hi to the expert,

I've planed to upgrade a 3.7.7 (ESXi 6.5) stretched cluster to the 3.7.10 or 4.0 (not yet decided).
I would like to know if the upgrade manager is "intelligent" to manage the tasks in the good order or not regarding to upgrade :

Omnistack software
ESXi software
Firmware

at the same time.

Starting from 3.7.7 + SVTSP-2018_1127.01 firmware to 3.7.10 / 4.0 + SVTSP-2019_1216.01 will make that at one time the firmware from the starting point will not be compliant with the target omnistack and either the target firmware will not be compliant with the source omnistack.

Does the upgrade manager handle this and allow the upgrade or do I need to choose a firmware package that will be compatible with both source and target version ?

The upgrade path allow to move from 3.7.7 o 4.0 so I believe that it should work (anyway the host being upgrade will not execute production...)

Hope to be clear, and many thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards,
Jean-Philippe.

6 REPLIES 6
DeclanOR
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: Uprade Manager behaviour

Hi @J-Philippe 

Thanks for using the HPE SimpliVity Forum.

If I understand your question correctly, UM should handle this correctly. The key here is ensuring that the upgrade path is supported as per the interop, and that the ESXi/Firmware versions as per interop are also supported. The versions which come bundled with the 3.7.10/4.0 bundles will be the supported/recommended versions however.

Take a look at the following video which walks through the complete upgrade process for insights into the order in which the upgrades take place:

https://hpesimplivityvideos.brightcovegallery.com/detail/videos/install-upgrade/video/6117232112001/hpe-simplivity-lifecycle-management-using-simplivity-upgrade-manager?autoStart=true

Hope this helps, and answers your question accurately.

My recommendation would be 4.0, as it contains newer bug fixes which address some known issues that the 3.7.10 release doesn't address.

Thanks,

DeclanOR  # I am an HPE Employee

[Moderator edit: Removed the broken link. Please refer to https://support.hpe.com/]

Accept or Kudo

J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

Hi Declan,

once again thank you for your quick answer, the video is usefull, well done from HPE !

I'm not worried of the bundle, I'll use the target bundle to upgrade arbiter and plugin before the mass upgrade. If I'm right the firmware are not in bundle, I have to get them separately and leave them in the required folder ?

Regards,

Jean-Philippe

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Hi @J-Philippe 

Thank you for the compliment!! We are continually working towards buidling out a repository of video and general knowledge content to help our customers..........so glad you appreciated the video.

Our technical video content is now also searchable on HPESC, as well as there being a full library available here:

https://hpesimplivityvideos.brightcovegallery.com/category/videos/general

If your nodes are HPE nodes, then everything you need for that specific OVC software version, including firmware, will be bundled. There will be further improvements to the bundle itself in the future......so watch this space!! 

Thanks,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

JMarchy
Occasional Visitor

Re: Upgrade Manager behaviour

Might be too late, but I tried the path you are looking at with 3.7.7 or 3.7.8 to 3.7.10 and it did not properly do the updates leaving several nodes in bad states.

In talking to support, they seemed to be saying it is safest to do updates manually through 3.7.10.

Once I had the bombed nodes repaired and the Federation back in a stable state, I ran a couple of the last nodes to update from 3.7.10 to 4.0.0 with the manager and it did as you are expecting.

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Hi @J-Philippe 

Hope you're well.

I need to apologise for an inaccurate statement I made previously. I stated that all necessary components - OVC Software/ESXi/Firmware are bundled in the same file for download. This is not correct. ESXi and Firmware are separate downloads.

.............just wanted to clarify that point.

BTW - we've moved to a new downloads portal. We now have one single portal for all your downloads.

myenterpriselicense.hpe.com portal.  Accessing downloads from HPESC will now also redirect to this portal. Good news is, that you no longer need to provide SAID number each time you download. Once your HPE Passport is correctly setup, and all of your contracts and warranties are correctly associated with it, you will only need your HPE Passport credentials to access all available downloads to you!!

Thanks,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

J-Philippe
Regular Advisor

Hi Declan, thank you for the clarification.

Best Regards