New Discussion юеВ

Upgrading Simplivity Firmware

SOLVED
Go to solution
AleksandarPeev
Advisor

Upgrading Simplivity Firmware

Hi all,

I plan to upgrade a Simplivity setup from 3.7.7 with SVTSP-2018_1127.01 and ESXi 6.5 U2c to the latest possible OVC , SVTSP and ESXI.

I have found in the community a lot of people asking the same question and somehow figuring it out themselves but it was never documented quite well.

My biggest qualm is in that the SVTSPs have been retired and are not available for download so I have an SVTSP-2019_0903.01.iso and then a SVTSP-2020_0701.03.iso. Do I do an upgrade to OVC 3.7.9 with SVTSP-2019_0903.01.iso and then ... HOW do I skip over to the 4.1.0 branch? Do I just then skip 3.7.10 and 4.0.0 and 4.0.1?

I would love to have a clear guidance to the correct upgrade path as HPE has envisioned it.

I do have support and I could engage an HPE engineer for this, but then I would not be learning it right.

Thankful in advance!

9 REPLIES 9
gustenar
HPE Pro

Re: Upgrading Simplivity Firmware

Hello @AleksandarPeev 

You can find answers to this and all upgrade related questions on the HPE Simplivity interoperability guide: 

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00117319en_us 

This is the document you need to refer to when reviewing version compatibility with your system. Your hardware platform will determine how far you can go on updates. If you are running HPE Simplivity 380 Gen 9/10 servers then you can go up to the latest one 4.1.0, but in the case of legacy systems the latest one for those is 3.7.10U1. 

Take a look at the link above and let us know if you have any questions. 

Thanks, 

gustenar

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
AleksandarPeev
Advisor

Ok sorry to be a pain in the a...

Can you digest it down for me and tell me if I could use the SVTSP-2019_0315.04 to upgrade to 3.7.9 and then right afterwards use the SVTSP-2020_0701.03 to upgrade to 4.1.0U1 or is there an intermediate step that I should do?

I am asking this as I have been dwelling on the InterOp Guide for quite some time now and in my opinion I would as an intemediate step use the SVTSP-2019_0604.03 to upgrade to 3.7.10 or 4.0.1U1 and then do a final SVTSP-2021_0110.02 fw upgrade to 4.1.0U1, BUT THAT IS NOT AN OPTION, as there are SVTSPs that I just am not allowed to download any more (I am guessing out of technical reasons).

Would you please be so kind to confirm that I could do use the aforementioned steps.

Grateful in advance!

AleksandarPeev
Advisor

My exact question is...

Can the SVTSP-2020_0701.03 be used as an equivalent and safe  replacement for the SVTSP-2019_0604.03, the SVTSP-2019_0903.01, the SVTSP-2019_1216.01 and the SVTSP-2020_0225.06 as these intermediate firmware bundles are no longer available for download.

Thanks!

AleksandarPeev
Advisor
Solution

This is stupid that I have to answer myself the solution to the problem but here goes it!

My upgrade path was as follows:

Step 1. upgrade firmware with SVTSP-2019_0903.15
Step 2.. upgrade the OVCs to version 3.7.9

These two steps were not handled by the upgrade manager i.e. had to be done manually

Take a leap of faith...

Step 3 run upgrade manager with SVTSP-2020_0701.03 and 3.7.10a
Step 4 use upgrade manager to upgrade to 4.0.1U1 (no firmware update)

Step 5 run upgrade manager with SVTSP-2021_0110.02 and 4.1.0U1

Pop the champagne!

It is a full days work to upgrade a 2 node cluster ... imagine if there were more .... and without the enterprise license at that

I just may award the points to myself

flomes
Visitor

Hello 

how did you download the SVTSP-2019_0604.03 firmware?

Thanks for your help

regards

Florian

AleksandarPeev
Advisor

Hi Florian,

My mistake I copy pasted the wrong SVTSP version...

I used the SVTSP-2019_0903 which is still available.

I will correct my post

AleksandarPeev
Advisor

My bad...

It has been pulled too...

But I have it in my repository.

You can get me a share location and I can post it for you ... maybe ... if this is not contrary to forum rules

MikaelWintherDO

I am stuck with a required 2019 FW upgrade too 2019.0604.03 That is not available. Anybody has access to it, or do i need to open a support case just to get old firmware?

Sincerely
Mikael

Sunitha_Mod

@MikaelWintherDO 

Hello Mikael, 

Thank you for writing to us! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you to create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and assist you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo