HPE SimpliVity
1748195 Members
3967 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Upgrading VCSA with SimpiVity plugins installed?

SOLVED
Go to solution
MikeD88
Occasional Collector

Upgrading VCSA with SimpiVity plugins installed?

Hi All,

I'm looking at upgrading my SimpliVity environment from vSphere 6.5 to 6.7. The first step is to upgrade my vCenter, however this is actually a VCSA in my environment - the upgrade process for which is actually a migration to a new appliance, with the configuration being transferred from the old the new.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of trying this with the SimpliVity plugins installed? Are they succesfully migrated across to the new appliance, or do they need to be reinstalled?

I'm not particularly worried about the web client plugin as that's an easy fix if it isn't migrated. I'm more concerned about the com.simplivity.evalta-* plugins that seem to get registered by OVCs as I suspect they will be harder to recover and might risk the stability of the cluster if lost...

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
DeclanOR
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi @MikeD88

Thanks for your query.

All configuration of the original vcsa is copied over to the newly created one, so in theory there should be no imapct once the operation completes, or any need for additional work.

I believe there is an option to migrate all logging data etc also, so i would probably choose that option to make sure it is an exact copy.

If upgrading your hosts also to version 6.7 there are some prerequisites and some things to be aware of from a simplivity perspective. Please see the vCenter 6.7 thread on this forum for more details on this (last comments on thread)

ESXi 6.7 is currently only supported on the HPE platform, and only with version 3.7.7 of simplivity software.

Hope this helps.

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

MikeD88
Occasional Collector

Hi @DeclanOR,

Thanks for the response. I think I'm just going to have to try it and see what happens.

I'm running on HPE Simplivity Gen9, and am planning to use the upgrade manager to move to vSphere 6.7 and Omnistack 3.7.7 - I just obviously need to get my vCenter up to the correct version first.

I'll definitely check out that thread you have suggested though.

Cheers!

Na-ka
Advisor

FYI, I'll introduce my experience.

Upgrading vCSA 6.5u2c to 6.7u1 was completed in our environment.
(We did not change OmniStack software version, which is 3.7.7.)

The directory /opt/Hewlett Packard Enterprise/ was disappered after upgrading vCSA.
SimpliVity Federation menu also did not exist on vSphere web client.
Therefore I reinstalled SimpliVity plug-in.

I hope HPE to establish upgrade procedures for vCSA remaining SimpliVity plug-in.

jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Hi @MikeD88

Are you able to say how the vCenter upgrade went? It's something I'm looking to do soon and would appreciate any feedback on whether it was a case of just following the standard VMware procedure of upgrading with perhaps just the requirement to reinstall the plug-in once completed?

kind regards