1748018 Members
3687 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

VCenter 6.7 Support

Kevin4
Advisor

VCenter 6.7 Support

Any idea of timetable of when Simplivity will be adding support to VCenter 6.7?  I see the hosts themselves are already supported for 6.7.   I have other clusters running other solutions that are supported by 6.7, haven't upgraded yet because I replicate to Simiplivity Cluster and want to keep the versions of vsphere the same.

Thanks.

25 REPLIES 25
ikbarbero
Regular Visitor

Re: VCenter 6.7 Support

Same question here.

We spoke with a Simplvity engineer almost two months ago and he told us that there was a delay but it should be released together with apollo 2600 nodes. Unfortunatelly apollo nodes was relased but not vSphere 6.7 support....

I hope that they release support soon, or at leats just after 6.7u1 being released (rumors say that could be announced in VMworld)

For us this kind of delays are total deal breaker. And if the compatible version is not release soon we will explore our options (hardware, at least gen10) is in vSAN HCL for example.

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

@ikbarbero@Kevin4

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your query, and apologies for the delay in getting back.

I have been in contact with engineering, and vSphere 6.7 is planned to be supported in OmniStack version 3.7.7, which is expected end of the year.

These plans may change however, but as of today, the plan is to have 6.7 supported in version 3.7.7

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Declan.

Accept or Kudo

ikbarbero
Regular Visitor

Thank you for the update Declan.

Unfortunatelly for us that timeframe is unaceptable for us. End of year, with luck late November or early December is roughly 6 month delay from vSphere 6.7GA. I understand that a lot of work is involved in a mayor upgrade like this, maybe even change totally the plugin, but delay all datacenter deployment and new features (nvdimm, new html5 client, vgpu vmotion ....) because a single solution don't work for us. 

Just in case, one requestion regarding the upgrade, what happen if we decide not follow simplivity recomendations and upgrade vCenter (leaving svt host with 6.5). For sure it will be a unsupported config for vCenter plugin, but the SVT Federation will be still working?.

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

@ikbarbero

Thanks for the quick response.

Sorry to hear that this timeline doesn't suit.

Regards your question:  If vCenter 6.7 hasn't yet been officially qualified by us, then I'm afraid I could not recommend this.

However, it's not to say that things won't continue to function as normal. Maybe everything continues to work as normal, maybe you will have limited functionality, or worse case scenario, maybe you will not have any HPE Simplivity functionality at all.

This would be the prupose of our qualification process.......to test and monitor impact, and addresss issues seen before giving it the green light as such.

If you do upgrade and run into issues, I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to provide support on what would basically be an unsupported configuration, and you would need to rollback your vCenter version to the previous functioning version.

The federation itself would possibly still work, but I could not say for sure, and would realistically have to recommend against this plan of action I'm afraid.

Thanks,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

Kevin4
Advisor

Any update on this yet?  Vsphere 6.7 Update 1 is out and my other server vendors have certified and I would like to upgrade all clusters being VCenter 6.7 Update 1 supposedbly has all features in HTML5 client.   And 6.7 Update 1 also has resolved CVEs to give our VMWare environment a better Qualys security scan.  As long as just getting 6.7supported, has testing started 6.7 Update 1?  I would like to upgrade this during holiday break, but I don't think certfication/support will be there and won't have opportunity again till spring break.  Working in higher education,  there are only few opportunities to get upgrades done.

Kevin4
Advisor

These delays are going to be a deal breaker with us as well,  We have been testing a different HCI solution and the certfication process is lot faster.   Simplivity is solid product, but the delays of keeping up with VMWare releases or even a followup on this thread.   I'm sure there's more than 2 customers wanted to know the answer to the question.

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Hi @Kevin4

Hi Kevin,

We are still in the process of qualifying the support for vSphere 6.7

As mentioned previously in this thread, the 3.7.7 release is due for end of this year/start of next.

I will update this thread if there are any further developments.

Thanks for your patience everyone.

Regards,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

ICPMuenchen
Frequent Advisor

Hi all,

we ordered a new Simplivity System, which was delivered today.

Our old ESXi Farm is already 6.7 with vCenter 6.7U1 and Now we have a big Problem because we need to downgrade to 6.5.

It would be great to get some information when 6.7 will be officially supported.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Peter

DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Hi @ICPMuenchen @Kevin4 @ikbarbero

I just wanted to update you all on the current status of vSphere6.7 support.

SimpliVity version 3.7.7 will support ESXi6.5U2 on all vendor platforms, and ESXi 6.7U1 on HPE platforms only.

Please see the following for more detail:

2018-11-15_0942.png

If upgrading from ESXi 6.5 to 6.7U1 there is also a known issue regarding an Emulex driver.

Workaround will be to remove the Emulex driver on 6.5 before upgrade.

This is a manual process on each host, and the issue is prioritized to be resolved in the next release.

We will be creating a KBA to detail this, which I will post to the forum once completed.

SimpliVity 3.7.7 is due to be available mid December, assuming all goes to plan.

Hope this helps everyone.

Thanks,

Declan.

Accept or Kudo