6093 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Windows Dedupe on Simplivity VM

Anthony_137
Frequent Advisor

Windows Dedupe on Simplivity VM

Hello,

Is there any recommandations/limitations about activate Windows Dedupe feature on Windows stored on Simplivity ?

We have a lot of data which are perfectly deduplicated with windows dedup on physicial server (95 % space saved) I think to virtualize it so I'd like to know if it's recommended.

Thanks.

Antho
5 REPLIES 5
Shivam1
HPE Pro

Re: Windows Dedupe on Simplivity VM

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Antho:

It is probably best to let one or the other do the dedupe, not both.  The likelyness of any extra gain with two separate dedupe processes against the same data is minimal and in this case... the SimpliVity Dedupe is going to happen before the operating system see's the data and only unique data will get written to it. 

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Anthony_137
Frequent Advisor

Thanks.

I've ran ddpeval to evaluate space savings if Windows dedup was activated. Tools estimate 43% space saving, for 200GiB of data. I have approximatevly 6 TiB, with similar data topology.
I understand twice dedup process are certainly not recommended (CPU obviously) but it's frustrating to see among waste space on Windows disk.

Do you know how to obtain dedupe rate for particular VM on Simplivity ?

Antho
Shivam1
HPE Pro

Hi Anthony,

You can leverage the telemetry analtytics to the InfoSight for SimpliVity ,so if you have the SimpliVity registered to InfoSight portal, you have the levay to check the dedupe ratio and total space savings with HPE SimpliVity technology.

Regards

Shivam 

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Anthony_137
Frequent Advisor

Yes, I've already statistics with HPE InfoSight host monitor. But not on particular VM.

Antho