1748287 Members
3054 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: "Error getting partition list" when trying to search for files to restore

adidasnmotion
Advisor

"Error getting partition list" when trying to search for files to restore

We have 2 datacenters and have setup Simplivity to backup each vm to both datacenters.  We are having an issue where we cannot restore files from backups stored at one of the data centers.  We have no trouble restoring files from backups of the same vm on the other datacenter.

When we try to restore files, we get the following message whenever we try to expand the partition list to try and locate files for restoring:

"Error getting partition list"

How can we resolve this issue?

6 REPLIES 6
gustenar
HPE Pro

Hello @adidasnmotion 

Thank you for using Simplivity Forum.  

If you are trying to do file level restore on a remote backup you will get this error, is this the case? What version of Simplivity are you running?  

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
adidasnmotion
Advisor

I'm trying to do a file level restore on the local datacenter.  This is when I get the error.  If I try to do a file level restore on the remote datacenter I'm able to browse the partitions to find the file without getting the error message.  We're running Simplivity 3.7.9.

db13
HPE Pro

@adidasnmotion This error is tyically caused by one of the following...
1. The backup for the VM is stored in a remote location, which is not mountable by the node in which that VM resides. (As @gustenar eluded to)
2. The VMDK is not a standard VMDK (perhaps a snapshot VMDK exists on the backup)
3. There is an orphaned fuse mount on a node containing the VM replica

Please contact SimpliVity support to further diagnose and clear any orphaned fuse mounts.

I am an HPE Employee
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HP Enterprise products is just a click away HPE Support Center Knowledge-base

Accept or Kudo

IbrahimBOZ
Occasional Advisor

Hi  adidasnmotion,

I am having the same problem. did you find a solution

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @IbrahimBOZ,

Thank you for writing to us.  Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you to create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and assist you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
IbrahimBOZ
Occasional Advisor

Same problem for me is fixed.

Below is the solution.

Cause

CTK option enabled for the VMS

Resolution

POA: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2139574

Procedure:-

1. Make sure no snapshots are present for the VM, if present kindly consolidate it and delete
  2. Take a fresh backup before activity
  3. Power of the VM
  4. Right-click the virtual machine and click Edit Settings. Click the Options tab, select the Advanced section and then click Configuration Parameters.

Disable CBT for the virtual machine by setting the ctkEnabled value to false.

Disable CBT for the individual virtual disks attached to the virtual machine by setting the scsix:x.ctkEnabled value for each attached virtual disk to false.

where scsix:x is SCSI controller and SCSI device ID of your virtual disk.

1. Open the virtual machine's working directory using the Datastore Browser
  2. Ensure there are no snapshot files (.delta.vmdk) present in the virtual machine's working directory.
  3. Delete any -CTK.VMDK files within the virtual machine's working directory.
  4. In the vSphere Client, right-click the virtual machine and click Power On.
  5. Make sure no active mount present on CD/DVD drive for the VM
  6. Take a fresh backup and perform FLR on newly protected backup fil