1752579 Members
4017 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

"Restore Log" ?

DavS
Advisor

"Restore Log" ?

Is there such thing as a "restore log" for virtual machines or files that have been restored using the SimpliVity backup tool?

We can easly find backups of VMs by simply rearching for backups in vCenter with the SimPliVity vCenter plugin. It would be great to have a rearch capability for VMs that have been restored.

Dave
5 REPLIES 5
DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Re: "Restore Log" ?

@DavS

Thanks for your query :)

We don't have a log as such, but what i would recommend when it comes to restores is that you use a meaningful naming convention.

Restored VM's will naturally obtain the VM name with a timestamp, but you can change this to something like Restore_Exchange01_29August, for example.

This will make it easier when it comes to searching for restored VM's.

Also, you could also speak to your accounts team as this is possibly a valid feature request.....at least from a file level restore perspective. For full VM restores, I would recommend using a meaningful naming convention.

Hope this helps.

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo

DavS
Advisor

Thanks for the reply, however,  that name convention is not the issue. What I am looking for is a method to show what VMs have been restored and on what date.

Dave
DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

@DavS

Hi Dave,

Thanks for clarifying.

Unfortunately, we don't have that granularity in logs right now.

It would definitely make for a nice feature however, so I will raise it with PM for awareness, and let's see what comes of it.

We could search svt logs for restores etc., but it would be very clumsy and would only allow us go back to certain time - as far back as last log, which potentially, depending on how busy your nodes are, may only be a matter of days.

You could test this out by ssh'ing to one of your OVC's and running a grep for restore :

#grep -i restore $SVTLOG

You could also grep the entire backlog of svt logs by navigating to /var/svtfs/0/log, and running the grep there as follows:

#grep -i restore svtfs.*

OR the entire path as follows

#grep -i restore /var/svtfs/0/log/svtfs.* | less

Sorry I can't provide more than this right now.

Hopefully this helps.

Best regards,

Declan.

Accept or Kudo

DavS
Advisor

Thank you. I was going to go down the path of searching vCenter log files to search for objects/VMs added to the Inventory.

Dave
DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

@DavS

Thanks Dave.

Interesting feature request that we can certainly pursue.

If I ever have any updates at any stage, i will respond on this thread.

Best regards,

DeclanOR

Accept or Kudo