New Discussion юеВ

rebalance primary hive & backups

SOLVED
Go to solution
egoqed
Occasional Advisor

rebalance primary hive & backups

dear community

I am running a 3 node simplivity cluster. two of them are over 80% capacity. The third one is new and therefore quite empty.

I already rebalanced the secondary hives and it had a slightly effect to the overall space consumption.

but, it is still not enough. so my question is:

is it recommended / supported to repalance not only the s but also the p hives? I'm doing it with the vi /tmp/balance/replica_distribution_file. But never did it with a "p", just the "s".

Also , i did not find any information about that topic =(

Has someone ever did it? Did it went well?

many thanks 

egoqed

4 REPLIES 4
Shivam1
HPE Pro

Re: rebalance primary hive & backups

Hi Egoqed,

We donot touch/manually balance "p" replica .

Any VM above 500GB does not participate under SImpliVity IWO feature,hence has to be manually balanced, if you have VM's in the above 500GB category they may need placement based on the space availaibility on the third node ,OR if they are no VM's under 500GB and  space reclaimation on node 1 and  node 2 is not as per your expecation after manual, balancing , the .csv file has to be rebuilt for more a optimized distribution.

SimpliVity Support team can help you in reviewing the .csv file you have used for manual balancing and recommend optimization.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

egoqed
Occasional Advisor

Hi Shivam1

Thanks for the answer.

So to get it right, primary replicas are placed autom. and will never be changed ?

so I have to go with the s replicas? below you can see the current balancing...over all it is not to bad, but i know there are two heavy vms which probably use a lot of the capacity.

index    pri    sec    total

1            20       3        23

2            10      15        25

3             5       17        22

regarding the space reclamation...is there a way for the SVT-team to clean this up ?

thanks

Egoqed

Shivam1
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi Egoqed,

So to get it right, primary replicas are placed autom. and will never be changed ? Yes

so I have to go with the s replicas?  Yes

is there a way for the SVT-team to clean this up ?

SVT Break fix can move a heavy VM's "s" copy to an underutillized node ,so that over utillize node gets some room.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

egoqed
Occasional Advisor

all right.

Thank you Shivam1 for the information.

i will let te community know, how this went out.