1748038 Members
4923 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: simplivity upgrade only single-replica datastores are available

pkullmann
Established Member

simplivity upgrade only single-replica datastores are available

When running pre-upgrade validation tests for simplivity upgrade to 4.1.0.266 I get a Single-replica Datastores check error with a summary of Only single-replica Datastores are available.   As far as I know there are no single-repiica datastores in the cluster.   How do I correct this error.   

Paul Kullmann
5 REPLIES 5
dhooley
HPE Pro

Hello @pkullmann 

This issue is a known issue identified when upgrading to 4.1.0. It is a false positive / incorrect error message.

In the /var/log/svt-upgrade.log on the OVC in question you will see similar to the below error logging:

2020-05-05 05:41:44,798Z ERROR task-7 [c.s.u.o.a.ComponentService] getLocalGuestVms(ComponentService.java:1959) - Error occured when trying to retrieve virtual machine list: null
2020-05-05 05:41:44,798Z ERROR task-7 [c.s.u.o.v.s.OmniStackAggregator] logValidationSummary(AbstractValidator.java:407) - DatastoreValidator: Only single-replica datastores are available.
2020-05-05 05:41:44,798Z ERROR task-7 [c.s.u.o.v.s.OmniStackAggregator] logValidationSummary(AbstractValidator.java:407) - DatastoreValidator: Only single-replica datastores are available. - Unexpected system failure

The problem is reported as a single-replica Datastore issue but is in fact actually an issue with getting the VM list via an API call. There are a few different causes for this but it typically highlights a potential communications issue with VC. It is probably best to open a support ticket and quote OMNI-95226 as the known issue.

We have not yet identified a fix for this issue so some field incidents would help this. If this is not what you are seeing please let me know.

David

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo
steez
Frequent Advisor

Hello @dhooley , we have the same issue. Has it something to do with multi cluster deployments, as we currently have 2 clusters, one of which is updated to the 4.1.0U1 successfully and the other one at 4.0.1.

However the tail /var/log/svt-upgrade.log is different, in our case we have -

2022-02-11 21:16:55Z [11809] INFO: Spaceprobe claims it has launched in 7 seconds! Checking space port 45623
2022-02-11 21:16:55Z [11809] INFO: Confirmed! You've really made the grade, and the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
2022-02-11 21:16:55Z [11809] INFO: Success! The space probe is floating in a most peculiar way; And the stars look very different today.

Which looks funny, but I dont see any error messages in log file. We have a session planned with HPE today.

dhooley
HPE Pro

Hi @steez 

I actually no longer work in the SimpliVity space so a support case may be your best bet as i'm a little rusty   However, the logging you are seeing is very generic, and you will probably see more information in the SVTFS.log. Basically, the upgrade has moved past the initial stage, and SVTF service has taken over. Best to check there.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo
Rey1

Hello @steez , i have same issue when i upgrade ovc 4.0.0 to 4.1.2 and what the solution to the issue?

steez
Frequent Advisor

Hello @Rey1 

I highly recommend and your best bet probably is to open a support case with HPE, as this might be caused for various reasons.

In our case it turned out to be a buggy Upgrade Manager, so the upgrade was done trough OVC CLI (Upload upgrade package and signature files to datastore and then execute it from CLI). There are articles about CLI upgrade on the internet.

Also note, recently we tried to upgrade from 4.1.0 to 4.1.3 with the CLI method, however for some reason it never went trough. In logs it showed as finished/upgraded, but after OVC restart, the version still remained 4.1.0. No indication of failure were observed in the log. Upgrade successfully was carried out via Upgrade manager.