4873 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: vCenter 6.7 and legacy clusters

sergeisokolov
Advisor

vCenter 6.7 and legacy clusters

Greetings!

I'm wondering if having vCenter 6.7 does not cause any issues with legacy OmniCube CN-3x00 clusters running ESXi 6.5 and OmniStack 3.7.10.

We also have some HPE380 Gen10 nodes in the Federation, where we'd like to utilize ESXi 6.7, so that's the reason for upgrading to vCenter 6.7.

Here's a quote from "HPE SimpliVity OmniCube 3.7.10 Interoperability Guide":

Dell PowerEdge R720XD Platforms (OmniCube CN-1200, CN-2000, CN-2200, CN-3000, CN-5000) do not support VMware vSphere 6.7.

Obviously those OmniCubes do not support ESXi 6.5, that's ok, but it shouldn't automatically mean that we cannot have vCenter 6.7 managing those hosts?

2 REPLIES 2
DaveOb
HPE Pro

The OVC and the interaction with VC are not based on the underlaying hardware,

You could upgrade to 6.7 VC as long it is on the 3.7.10 interop guide the last one to support DELL based systems.

What the presence of the DELLS means however is your upgrade of VC in future will be limited to security and major bugs releases and will fall behind the current HPE based interopguide guide.

Upgrading to a VC not on the interop guide will result in a non supported configuration.

I am an HPE employee
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
sergeisokolov
Advisor

DaveOb, thank you for the reply but it's still a bit unclear to me.

Please let me elaborate a little, so we would be on the same page.

There are OmniCube CN-series that are based on Dell R720(xd) models and they only support ESXi 6.5 but not 6.7. Those are the models that we have.

There are other Dell-based hosts that are based on R730(xd), and those do support ESXi 6.7. But we don't have those.

The interop guide for OmniStack 3.7.10 for OmniCube CN-series (not Dell R730(xd)) only mentions the following:

Dell PowerEdge R720XD Platforms (OmniCube CN-1200, CN-2000, CN-2200, CN-3000, CN-5000) do not support VMware vSphere 6.7.

vSphere is a platform consisting of different products, so what did they mean here exactly? We know that R720(xd) don't support ESXi 6.7 but it shouldn't automatically mean that vCenter 6.7 cannot manage those hosts, right?
Because in a non-SimpliVity environment with R720(xd) running ESXi 6.5 and being managed by vCenter 6.7 would be a very well supported configuration.

And considering OmniStack 3.7.10 supports both ESXi 6.5 and vCenter 6.7, why shouldn't it be a working configuration with the old CN-series?