108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: vCenter Server 7.0 U2 support

SOLVED
Go to solution
bbelew
Advisor

So does this announcement from HPE mean that 7.0U2 is supported as an upgrade but because of the advisory listed in the doc we shouldn't use many of the UI plug-in features?

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=hpesbst04178en_us

Ryan_Hardy
Frequent Advisor

A month and a half later there's still not even an ETA of the "future release". You guys are hilarious. Glad not everybody treats its customers security like this.

Matthew Ingram
Regular Advisor

They seem to be locked in a battle with VxRail to see who can have the worst support timeline for 7.0U2.

Kipp_Glover
HPE Pro

HPE SimpliVity will soon have a new release of OmniStack that will support vCenter Server Appliance 7.0 U2b.   Sorry for the delay and stay tuned.   I will update this thread once it is available.  

I work for HPE
Ryan_Hardy
Frequent Advisor

Apart from the fact that anyhow it is too little too late, what is stopping HPE from at least giving us an ETA?

For me it looks like the SimpliVity team went a direction that's turned out to be a dead end and now they struggle to turn back. First they gave up their former USP, the hardware offloading card that was praised to be pure magic - at least this was advertised before SimpliVity was bought by HPE.
Now they are having a really hard time with every new release that VMware is pushing out. You'd think that HPE would have the manpower to handle that, but apparently they don't. They don't even update documentation anymore - a task that's done within minutes. "It will be updated later"... Well, why?? To make it hard for us to find out what exactly is supported? It's getting hard to do things right with SimpliVity systems these days. This all comes to a point where for us customers it is not just annoying anymore - they are playing with our companies safety now and don't even bother to give us any information about when they will be kind enough to release an update (that will only support previous patch levels by then). And that is when I personally draw a line.

Matthew Ingram
Regular Advisor

The issue here is that they have gone from quarterly releases to every 6 months at best. Being 2-3 months behind isn't great but its not too bad. At this point the supported ESXi build is 1 year old. Thats completely unacceptable from a support and security stand point.

Kipp_Glover
HPE Pro
Solution

Today, August 11, 2021, HPE release OmniStack 4.1.0U1.  You can find this on the HPE Support Center:  https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_ee6db5e1e7e74efba1698a53c5  

New in HPE SimpliVity OmniStack 4.1.0 U1

• This release adds vSphere 7.0 upgrade and deployment support for Gen9.

Refer to HPE OmniStack 4.1.0U1 for vSphere Release Notes for the complete list of enhancements in this release.
Refer to HPE SimpliVity OmniStack 4.1.0U1 Interoperability Guide for the latest firmware and software policies.

I work for HPE
Matthew Ingram
Regular Advisor

When should we except the updated interop matrix? Links all go to the 4.1 non-U1. HasnтАЩt been updated.
Brian_Galante
Frequent Advisor

Ryan_Hardy
Frequent Advisor

Nice, so like some of us already expected HPE decided to support ESXi versions only up unto February 2021 (instead of the latest and greatest from April 2021). So that's 6 months old now and will be easily one year old until the next SimpliVity update is released. That's just messed up.