1752790 Members
5972 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: vCenter Upgrade

angtl91
Occasional Contributor

vCenter Upgrade

We have a physical windows vCenter 6.7 & two SimpliVity ESXi hosts. We are planning to upgrade the vCenter to 7.0.

Since vCenter 7.0 is no longer support in Windows based, can we deploy the VCSA 7.0 in Simplivity ESXi hosts? Is there any issue we can foreseen other than we can't manage it via Simplivity plug-in if we shutdown the VCSA?

2 REPLIES 2
support_s
System Recommended

Query: vCenter Upgrade

System recommended content:

1. VMware ESX Server 4.x - Unable to Upgrade vCenter from 4.0 to 4.1

2. VMware vSphere 4.x Software - Installing/Upgrading vCenter Server 4.1 Best Practices

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

ICPMuenchen
Frequent Advisor

Re: vCenter Upgrade

This is a quite easy going process. just use the migration/upgrade wizard of vCenter VCSA Setup. I also would suggest choosing one size bigger of the vcsa as recommended. then you are safe the next years regarding diskspace and ram etc. vcsa runs much better than the windows version. hence i would have recommended using the vcsa already years ago
 simplivity plugin needs to be installed manually afterwards.

Just make sure you regularly backup your vcenter server, and you are able doing a restore directly to one of your esxi hosts  or using quick restore (e.g. with veeam you can start up a vm directy from your backup). 

there are no concerns needed, from begin we ran vcenter server on windows and later vcsa always directly in our esx environment. in my opinion its much safer and more performant than using a dedicated local machine.