New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replacing B-series fabric switches

SOLVED
Go to solution
jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Replacing B-series fabric switches

Hi all

I need to replace the SAN switches within two existing fabrics with new SN6600B SAN switches. There are two fabrics in the current environment and each fabric consists of two switches (one Brocade 5300 trunked to a Brocade 6520). Both switches are running FOS 7.4.2c. The replacement switches are SN6600B's which have FOS 9.0 installed and will be having two of these per fabric to replace to two old switches.

My plan is to configre unique domain IDs on each new switch and to connect the new switches to the existing fabric (the new switches will not have any zones configured prior to connecting). this should allow the existing zones to propogate to the new switches and I will then recable the hosts from the old switches to the new (Soft zoning has been implemented on the old switches).

My problem is that it's not supported to have FOS 9.0.x and 7.x within the same fabric so I can't simply cable the new and old switches together. Also, whereas I can upgrade the 6520 switch to FOS 8.x, the 5300 switch isn't supported for FOS 8.x so this will need to remain at 7.4.2 - thus still preventing me from merging the fabrics (I assume!).

I'm not sure if I could just upgrade the 6520 to 8.x (leaving the 5300 on 7.4.2) and then cable the SN6600B to the 6520 switch only to extend the fabic - but I doubt this would be a supported option.

My other thought is to 'downgrade' the SN6600Bs to 8.x and then merge the fabrics, complete the recabling of the hosts, decommission the old switches and then upgrade the fabric to 9.x  - is that a viable way to do this?

kind regards

Jon

6 REPLIES 6
support_s
System Recommended

Query: Replacing B-series fabric switches

System recommended content:

1. HP StorageWorks B-Series SAN Switches - Replacement Switch Causes a Segmented Fabric

2. Notice: HPE B-series Switches - HPE B-series Fabric Operating System v9.0.1c Firmware Release for Select HPE B-series SAN Switches

If the above information is helpful, then please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon.

Thank you for being a HPE community member.

Accept or Kudo

spottydog0
Regular Visitor

You could use a FCR license on the new B series, EX ports to allow supported interconnectivity to FOS7 & LSAN zoning. This allows migration of connections piecwise from old to new.

jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Hi

Many thanks - I'll take a look into that. Anything involving a license sounds like it has a cost against it and perhaps also might involve setting up some kind of routing config? This option may be more involved than a quick downgrade and connecting an ISL - but I'll look into it.

Are you suggesting this as a better idea than a downgrade or an alertnative idea?  i'd ideally need to understand the benefits of one over the other to help me justify presenting this option to the business. Perhaps if the old switches were being retained then it would make sense but as it's just for a short time whilst we migrate cables across I'm not sure this would be preferred over an option that doesn't incur any additional costs & config - am I wrong in thinking this?

thanks again

Cali
Honored Contributor

Hi,

take a look at "Brocade┬о Fabric OS┬о Software Upgrade Guide, 9.0.x", Table 1.

Your Switch should be a Brocade G620, but it depends on the Switch Type.
Only Type 162 is allowed to Downgrade to OS 8.x.

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
spottydog0
Regular Visitor
Solution

The right approach really depends on what risk verses cost the business accepts.

1) Downgrade, merge & migrate cabling a bit at a time, Simple, supported, cheap, some work.

2) Preconfigure zoning on new switching, swap cabling one fabric at a time, Simple, supported, cheap, fast, a level of risk, You could be done in 2 weekends maybe & move on.

3) Use FCR, If you need to keep the old kit round, low risk, allows you take your time. expensive, supported, more work.

HTH.

jlangmead
Regular Advisor

That's great - thanks

I'll consider each one and, as you say, determine the most suitable depending on the different levels of effectiveness, cost and work effort.

many thanks