HPE Storage Tech Insiders
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NCM and Windows Server 2016 Shares

jangeador125

Recently we provisioned a Windows Server 2016 to be a Windows File Server using Nimble Storage Volumes with iSCSI as the storage.

On a reboot I noticed that all the file shares disappeared. After Googling the problem I came up with this KB https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/870964. The problem seemed to be that the `Server` service had come up before the `Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Service` and it was unable to see the files to share.

To confirm that this was the problem, the first thing was to restart the `Server` service. After a few seconds all the shares reappeared correctly.

Now to make the solution permanent I had to make the `Server` service be dependent on the `Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Service`, but since I use `Nimble Connection Manager` to establish connections to iscsi the solution was to make the `Server` service dependent on `Nimble Connection Manager`

Here are the steps:

Find the dependencies for `LanManServer` service using :

C:\Users\administrator>sc qc lanmanserver

[SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: lanmanserver

TYPE               : 20  WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS

START_TYPE         : 2   AUTO_START

ERROR_CONTROL      : 1   NORMAL

BINARY_PATH_NAME   : C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k smbsvcs

LOAD_ORDER_GROUP   :

TAG                : 0

DISPLAY_NAME       : Server

DEPENDENCIES       : SamSS

: Srv2

SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem

Under dependencies we have 2 services `SamSS`(Security Accounts Manager) and `Srv2`(Server SMB 2.xxx Driver). We need to add the `Nimble Connection Manager` to the dependencies. for that we use the command `sc config LanManServer depend=SamSS/Srv2/"Nimble Connection Service"` SamSS and Srv2 were already part of the dependencies, we just added the Nimble Connection Service.

C:\Users\administrator>sc config LanManServer depend=SamSS/Srv2/"Nimble Connection Service"

[SC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS

And that is it. You can reboot your server and confirm that the shares are available upon reboot.

About the Author

jangeador125

Comments
mblumberg16

This is very useful information, thank you for posting it.

Moshe.

jangeador125

Thanks, I pasted it from my blog without realizing the awful format problems. I fixed it a bit to look nicer.

Does anyone know if this will work for SQL Server as well? We have run into the same problem with SQL Server and in-guest iSCSI volumes where SQL doesn't start after a reboot, but if you start the services a few seconds later everything is fine. I set the SQL Services to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" and everything works, but I'm thinking this is probably the exact same issue with the timing of the iSCSI volumes and SQL Server starting the services.

jangeador125

Yes, it should be the same problem. If I had to do this I would apply the same fix as the file server and then make MSSQLSERVER service dependant on LanManServer