Around the Storage Block
1748202 Members
2887 Online
108759 Solutions
New Article
csnell

Re: Storage Provisioning using Ansible with HPE 3PAR Storage

Storage Provisioning using Ansible with HPE 3PAR Storage

Recently I was asked to look at getting the HPE 3PAR to work with Ansible. My exposure to Ansible before this, was by name recognition only. I didn’t have any working knowledge with it. So like every good challenge, I set off to learn what Ansible was all about.

After going through various tutorials, I got an elementary understanding to what was possible with Ansible. I must say, it was definitely refreshing to be using YAML compared to some of the other languages I had been using lately (i.e. Javascript and Ruby). YAML is a much “simpler” language to understand and read.

If you aren’t familiar with YAML, it stands for “YAML Ain't Markup Language”. It is used widely among programming languages as well as configuration files for many of the popular apps. So if you have dug around much within Linux, chances are you have come across YAML.

Here is a quick example from Ansible’s website. Take a look at the documentation to learn more about the formatting for YAML. Reading YAML is pretty straightforward. 

# Employee records
-  martin:
    name: Martin D'vloper
    job: Developer
    skills:
      - python
      - perl
      - pascal
-  tabitha:
    name: Tabitha Bitumen
    job: Developer
    skills:
      - lisp
      - fortran
      - erlang

Again this is a simple example, but these same principals apply from the most basic to the most complex Ansible playbooks.

Now let’s talk more specifically about Ansible and Playbooks.

Ansible’s website says it the best:

Playbooks are Ansible’s configuration, deployment, and orchestration language. They can describe a policy you want your remote systems to enforce, or a set of steps in a general IT process.

If Ansible modules (modules are Ansible “plugins” that control system resources, like services, packages, or files) are the tools in your workshop, playbooks are your instruction manuals, and your inventory of hosts are your raw material.

At a basic level, playbooks can be used to manage configurations of and deployments to remote machines. At a more advanced level, they can sequence multi-tier rollouts involving rolling updates, and can delegate actions to other hosts, interacting with monitoring servers and load balancers along the way.

With this in mind, I will be specifically talking about creating Ansible playbooks to automate storage deployments.

Many developers and Operation teams are already using Ansible to help deploy infrastructure as well as apps within their datacenters, so it makes sense to include storage in these processes and workflows. Since I work primarily with the HPE 3PAR Storserv array, naturally I wanted to start there and figure out how to make Ansible talk to the HPE 3PAR’s Web Services API (3PAR’s REST API).

I will be covering two different methods of how you can use Ansible with the 3PAR. If you are already "TLDR", but want to know specifically how to use the new Storage module, you can skip over this section and go the section "The New Better Way"

Old Method (without the Storage Module)

Let’s start with creating the playbook. Every playbook (since it is YAML based) starts with --- and then the name of the playbook. Here you can define the hosts that it will run against. Since we are using the uri module on the local machine to connect to a 3PAR, we set this to localhost. The next section, includes your variables. These can be included in the playbook, like shown below, at runtime, or in a configuration file. It can also be a mix of these, for example, global variables could be in a configuration file while the runtime variables configured in the playbook or provided at the command line with the -e flag.

Be aware, YAML is space sensitive. Always make sure your sections contain the same number of spaces in front otherwise it may be interpreted differently. Also, TABS have been outlawed in YAML and are not allowed to prevent errors between editors. You have been warned.

---
- name: Connect to 3par - get volumes
  hosts: localhost

vars:
    auth_3par_user: "3paruser"
    auth_3par_password: "3parpass"
    ip_address_3par: 192.168.1.50
    rest_api_url_3par: "https://{{ ip_address_3par }}:8080/api/v1"

The next section contains the task(s). A playbook can contain a single task or multiple tasks to accomplish the desired configuration. Each task is denoted with the – name: descriptor and provides a meaningful name to the task. Each task calls upon an Ansible module that is able to accomplish the desired endstate, in our case the uri module. Under the uri module you will see the various parameters that are required in order for the uri to talk with the HPE 3PAR.

tasks:
    - name: check if 3par WSAPI is running
      uri:
        url: "{{ rest_api_url_3par }}/credentials"
        method: POST
        headers:
          Content-Type: "application/json"
        body_format: json
        body: "{ 'user': '{{ auth_3par_user }}', 'password': '{{ auth_3par_password }}' }"
        status_code: 201
        return_content: yes
        validate_certs: no
      register: output

- name: Parsing key
      debug:
        msg: "{{ output.json.key }}"

- name: GET 3par hosts - get hosts
      uri:
        url: "{{ rest_api_url_3par }}/volumes"
        method: GET
        headers:
          X-HP3PAR-WSAPI-SessionKey: "{{ output.json.key }}"
          Accept: "application/json"
        status_code: 200
        return_content: yes
      register: host_output

- name: Parsing Host GET
      debug:
        msg: "{{ host_output }}"

- name: release authentication key
      uri:
        url: "{{ rest_api_url_3par }}/credentials/{{ output.json.key }}"
        method: DELETE
        headers:

As you can see, there are 5 tasks in this playbook.

1. Authentication to the HPE 3PAR
  2. Acquires the required SessionKey
  3. With the SessionKey, Queries the HPE 3PAR for all volumes
  4. Outputs the query to the terminal
  5. Releases the SessionKey

There are a lot of steps involved here to do something so simple. The nice thing though, once you have this initial playbook built, managing (i.e. provisioning volumes, creating vvsets, etc) your HPE 3PAR is rather straight forward only requiring the change of the REST call url: "{{ rest_api_url_3par }}/volumes".

You can include additional tasks, like exporting volumes, to make these playbooks more robust and part of a larger workflow. When I created a number of these playbooks in this manner, I found out quickly there were a lot of limitations to using the uri module, which I want highlight.

First, is length of your playbooks. This was a simple playbook but it was still 57 lines of code. That is 57 different areas to make a mistake (especially with spaces). When I created some larger bare-metal provisioning workflows, they were hundreds of lines of code which becomes harder to follow, error prone and far more complex than I want.

Second, the uri module. I had to use native REST calls to talk with the 3PAR. I was fortunate to have learned REST in previous projects, but it isn’t easy to pick up on the fly so if you had to get up and running quickly with Ansible this would be another HUGE learning curve in addition to learning Ansible.

Lastly, there are no 3PAR specific resources to work with. I was dependent on the uri module and then interpreting json in order to pick out the specific information I needed to manipulate further in my playbooks like volume names, lun id, SessionKeys, etc. Part of automation, is the ability target an object (be it an HPE 3PAR volume, ESXi host, nginx service) so you can act upon it later in your workflows.

This is where the HPE 3PAR modules for Ansible comes into play.

https://github.com/HewlettPackard/hpe3par_ansible_module

New Better Way (with the Storage Module)

Okay like I said, the previous is the long way to do it. If you like to write in REST and have really long playbooks, continue doing what you are doing.

Otherwise, HPE has partnered with Red Hat and the Ansible team to develop high quality storage modules to manage the HPE 3PAR array. This collaboration has led to the development of HPE 3PAR specific storage modules, playbooks and resources in order to manage your HPE 3PAR storage arrays.

The HPE 3PAR modules for Ansible is developed as a set of modules and example playbooks to provision the following:

• CPG
  • Host
  • Volume
  • VLUN
  • Host Set
  • Volume Set
  • Volume Offline Clone
  • Volume Online Clone
  • Volume Snapshot
  • QOS
  • Flash Cache

So let’s look at what a playbook looks like using the HPE 3PAR modules for Ansible.

First step to using the storage module is to download it from Github. As of Ansible 2.5 and earlier, you will need to download it from Github, after the release of Ansible 2.6, it will be part of Ansible core and included when you download Ansible.

git clone https://github.com/HewlettPackard/hpe3par_ansible_module

Once we have it downloaded, you can look at the various items included with the Module.image1.png

We are most interested in the Modules and playbooks. The Modules folder contains the code (written in Python) behind the playbooks and these specific modules do all of the work on the 3PAR so we don’t have to write lengthy and complex REST calls like in the beginning example. They also provide HPE 3PAR resources and actions that we can then use within our playbooks like create volumes, modify 3PAR hosts, or delete hostsets as an example. We don’t have to modify anything here and they are available when we create our playbooks.

Now let’s look at the playbooks. There is a pretty large list of available playbooks here.

image2.png

The name of the playbooks correlates to the actions and resources that you will be working with. So for example if we want to create a snapshot, we would be working with the snapshot_playbook.yml or if we want to manage volumes, we would be using the volume_playbook.yml.

Let’s look at the volume playbook,

image3.png

It looks a bit different than the original ones we wrote. The playbooks provided in the module are actually templates. Note that it is missing the --- at the beginning of the yaml file, also if you look at the task names, you will see that there many different volume tasks (create, set snap cpg, grow volume, rename, and delete). Typically, you would not run all of these tasks within the same playbook but a subset of volume task plus other tasks maybe from the hosts playbook, or vlun management in order to create a playbook that automates the entire storage provisioning process.

If you compare these actions to what we wrote with the uri module and REST in the beginning, the storage module reduces the lines of code from 57 down to ~10. That is a significant simplification of the process, plus the introduction of HPE 3PAR specific resources, makes it much easier to identify what information we need to provide in order to run the playbook.

There are a couple of important concepts that I want to call out here to help you in your journey to learn Ansible and how to use these modules effectively.

First, variables.

Variables within YAML are defined with curly brackets: {{ variable }}.

Second, state.

The state option tells Ansible what action to perform. Ansible is a Change Management tool, so you don’t actually write code, playbooks define your environment and how it should be configured.

Let’s look at the Create Volume task as an example, state=present. Upon running the playbook, the Create Volume task will call the HPE 3PAR storage module to check to see if the volume exists on the array and if it doesn’t, it will be created and state tells Ansible that the volume must be present.

Looking back at the volume_playbook.yml as well as any of the other playbooks, you will see the many state definitions, each performing a specific action. Some of them include:

• present
  • convert_type
  • set_snap_cpg
  • change_snap_cpg
  • grow
  • grow_to_size
  • modify
  • delete

Now let’s create another playbook using these modules to create a volume and then export it to a host.

Open your favorite editor.

vi demo_playbook.yml

Let’s provide a name for our playbook and it will be running against localhost again.

---
- name: Demo 3PAR Ansible playbook
  hosts: localhost

Next let’s define our variables. In this example, we will use a combination of locally defined variables and an external configuration file (include_vars). Under vars, we specify the volume parameters.

vars:
    volume_name: 'demo_ansible_volume'
    size: 10
    size_unit: 'GiB'
    cpg: 'FC_r1'
    host_name: 'virt-esx01'
    autolun: False
    lunid: 110

tasks:
    - name: Load Storage System Vars
      include_vars: 'properties/storage_system_properties.yml'

Before we go further, here is what the properties/storage_system_properties.yml file looks like, it is a simple file with 3 lines defining the connection information for the HPE 3PAR.

Note: You can include any of your variables in a combination of configuration files or within the playbook itself. It is completely up to you. I like to use configuration file for my “global” variables or to use them as “profiles” to limit the user defined variables in my playbooks.

storage_system_ip: "192.168.1.50"
storage_system_username: "3paruser"
storage_system_password: "3parpass"

Now let’s create our tasks. Like I mentioned before, we can copy and paste these from the playbook templates provided in the module. We will be copying the Create Volume action from the volume_playbook.yml and the Create VLUN action from the volume_to_host_vlun_playbook.yml playbook. 

- name: Create Volume "{{ volume_name }}"
      hpe3par_volume:
        storage_system_ip="{{ storage_system_ip }}"
        storage_system_username="{{ storage_system_username }}"
        storage_system_password="{{ storage_system_password }}"
        state=present
        volume_name="{{ volume_name }}"
        cpg="{{ cpg }}"
        size="{{ size }}"
        size_unit="{{ size_unit }}"

- name: Create VLUN
      hpe3par_vlun:
        storage_system_ip="{{ storage_system_ip }}"
        storage_system_username="{{ storage_system_username }}"
        storage_system_password="{{ storage_system_password }}"
        state=export_volume_to_host
        host_name="{{ vlun_host_name }}"
        lunid="{{ lunid }}"
        autolun="{{ autolun }}"

We need to make one minor change. Under the Create VLUN task, we need to modify the following variable: 

volume_name="{{ vlun_volume_name }}"

to 

This allows you to link the two tasks by using the volume you created as the volume to export in the following task. Other than that we are done and have created a simple, yet powerful provisioning playbook.

Now let’s run the playbook.

ansible-playbook demo_playbook.yml

You should see the following output.image4.png

If you look at your HPE 3PAR, you will now see it your new volume.image5.png

Congratulations on creating a playbook using the HPE 3PAR Storage modules for Ansible.

The HPE 3PAR Storage modules make the job much simpler as well as you have greater flexibility in integrating HPE 3PAR into your DevOps and Operation team workflows. Again looking back at our original playbook example, it took 57 lines of code to simply read the volumes from the HPE 3PAR. We were able to create and then export the volume to a server in 37.

This really is just the beginning of what you can do with the HPE 3PAR Storage modules for Ansible. This was a standard provisioning playbook. You can create playbooks that include tasks from bare-metal provisioning, OS deployment, storage provisioning all the way to application deployment and management. You can take these playbooks and integrate them into Ansible Tower to build out a self-service portal.  

The future looks brighter than ever when it comes to HPE. The landscape of the datacenter is constantly changing and the demand for storage and rapid deployments continue to grow. Thank you for following this tutorial and hopefully it has been useful and sparked interest and ideas about how to use Ansible and HPE Storage. Wherever you are on your journey, we're very eager to hear what challenges exist out there today. I genuinely believe HPE can help out in a multitude of ways.

0 Kudos
About the Author

csnell

Everything about Containers and Persistent Storage using HPE 3PAR/Primera in Docker, Kubernetes, Red Hat, as well as Storage Automation

Comments
Christopher Wilmot

Thank you for your help with getting me started with Ansible.

Do you know if there is a way of creating multiple volumes in the same playbook?

@Christopher Wilmot  Yes you can use the with_items Ansible object.

Something similar to this:

- name: Create Volume "{{ volume_name }}"
      hpe3par_volume:
        storage_system_ip: "{{ storage_system_ip }}"
        storage_system_username: "{{ storage_system_username }}"
        storage_system_password: "{{ storage_system_password }}"
        state: present
        volume_name: "{{ item }}"
        cpg: "{{ cpg_name }}"
        size: "{{ vol_size }}"
        size_unit: "{{ vol_size_unit }}"
      with_items: "{{ ['volume_1', 'volume_2', 'volume_3'] }}"

Hello csnell,

Thanks for your blog. I'm new to Anible and I fell your blog is really wonderful.

Could you please help to get the Ansible module command reference gide(pdf) to understand more on every modules.

Thanks!

@Ramesh_Kumar_P We don't have a PDF version of the reference guide for each module.

I recommend that you check out our Github page for the most up-to-date information and detailed guides for each module.

https://github.com/HewlettPackard/hpe3par_ansible_module