HPE Storage Networking - Switches
1753894 Members
7880 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

How to connect hardware to SAN Swithes in terms of fault tolerance and bandwidth usage

SOLVED
Go to solution
KPN
Occasional Contributor

How to connect hardware to SAN Swithes in terms of fault tolerance and bandwidth usage

Good day!
There are two SAN fabrics:
SAN fabric 1: 'HP Blade System SAN Switch-1' + 'HPE SN3600B FC Switch-1'
SAN fabric 2: 'HP Blade System SAN Switch-2' + 'HPE SN3600B FC Switch-2'

VMware ESX servers and NetApp2750 datastore are connected to SAN switches.
The datastore contains virtual machines, this storage NetApp2750 consists of two nodes, each node has two FC-dapters.

Server ESX-01, Server ESX-02, Blade System SAN Switch-1, Blade System SAN Switch-2 are included in the HPE Blade Enclosure.

How to connect hardware more correctly in terms of fault tolerance and bandwidth usage:
like Sample-1 or Sample-2?

SAMPLE-1:

sample-1sample-1

SAMPLE-2:

sample-2sample-2

1 REPLY 1
Yeskay
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: How to connect hardware to SAN Swithes in terms of fault tolerance and bandwidth usage

Hi KPN,

I see that you would like to know which fabric configuration is best for fault tolerance and bandwidth from the SAN topology diagrams provided ( SAMPLE1 and SAMPLE2 ).

I would always suggest that you go ahead with the configuration mentioned in Picture named "SAMPLE-1". As per this configuration, HOPS are same from server to storage on all paths.  Two fabrics provide fabric level redundancy as well.  All the connections on servers and storages are redundant.   I would also suggest that you add one more link from blade switch to external switch SN3600B in each fabric (In case of SAN Fabric 1- Add one more link from Blade System SAN Switch-1 to HPE SN3600B FC Switch-1. In case of SAN Fabric 2- Add one more link from Blade System SAN Switch-2 to HPE SN3600B FC Switch-2 )

Thank You!
I am a HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo