New Discussion

4 Node VSA on Synergy for VMW

SOLVED
Go to solution
regi_p
Frequent Advisor

4 Node VSA on Synergy for VMW

Hi I'm planning to build this using HPE Synergy12000 Frame

2 X HPE Synergy D3940 CTO Storage Modules with site A & B config (Plus HPE Synergy D3940 IO Adapter, HPE Synergy 12Gb SAS Connection Module, HPE VC SE 40Gb F8 Module etc...)

4 X HPE SY 480 Gen9 w/o Drv Bys CTO Compute Modules with 0.5 TB RAM each 

8 X HP 1.92TB 6G SATA MU-3 SFF SC SSD

32 X HP 1.8TB 12G SAS 10K 2.5in SC 512e HDD

With 4 X HPE SV VSA 2014 50TB 

Which gives 

2x 1.92TB R1 = 3.84TB

8x 1.8TB R5(3+1) = 14.4TB 

18.24TB/node for a cluster total of approx 36TB 

Please advise you thoughts on this please. Applicate any help 

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
Stor_Mort
HPE Pro

Re: 4 Node VSA on Synergy for VMW

Hi regi_p,

You should be able to get a lot of work done with that gear. I'd recommend talking to your HPE Sales or HPE Partner to have a Solutions Architect go over your requirements and make sure you haven't missed something.

One thing to watch out for. If you are going to be using VMware, vSphere supports the 512e drives in vSphere 6.5. The StoreVirtual VSA 2014 is not supported on vSphere 6.5 hosts until release 12.7, expected in May 2016.

I am an HPE employee - HPE SImpliVity Support

Accept or Kudo

regi_p
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Stor_Mort 

Yes, I did this spec with HPE presales/Solutions Architect so it is all under control but i just wanted to run through you guys 

In addition, planned install is in June/July by the time vSphere 6.5 hosts until release 12.7 will be ok hopefully 

Can you advise on below if possible please I will be using 50TB VSA license 

1) Note
Depending on the amount of storage presented to vSphere, and consequently to the Store Virtual VSA as VMDK, it may be necessary to increase the heap size in the host configuration for vSphere 5.1 and earlier (see VMware KB 1004424 for more detail).

2) Memory required (GB) when using Adaptive Optimization and/or Space Reclamation for 40 - <= 50 TB VSA is 26 GB

From the HPE Store Virtual VSA design and configuration guide (For solutions based on Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware vSphere) or any other notes, tips etc... I should be aware of

Cheers for your help 

/R

Stor_Mort
HPE Pro
Solution

1. Follow VMware's recommendations about heap size.

2. Each VSA will need 26GB RAM if AO and space reclamation will be used. I don't know yet if that will change in 12.7.

I am an HPE employee - HPE SImpliVity Support

Accept or Kudo

Paul Lazzari

You have PE.