5976 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Adaptive Optimization

NDBT
Advisor

Adaptive Optimization

Hello

Recently added a new 4335 unit to our existing cluster and the adaptive optimzation option is now available to us. The rest of our nodes in the cluster are P4300G2 units.  By default this feature is turned on for any volumes but I was considering only leaving it enabled for certain volumes that contain our email server VM and our primary file server VM.

But, then I am worried that by doing so all of the data for those two critical systems is only residing on the one node in the cluster rather than being striped across the entire cluster.  Am I right in this concern or is the data striped across more than the SSDs?

3 REPLIES 3
NDBT
Advisor

After doing some more reading I just went ahead and turned on AO for almost all volumes on our SAN as that is the recommended setting by HP in their documentation.

Ravi_K
HPE Pro

hi

I wouldn't recommnd you to add 4335 node to the existing cluster of G2s as even the new one will perform at the speed of G2s, so you wont see any performance increase. Yes, if the reason is just to add capacity, it works fine as G2s are no longer sold but performance improvement will not happen as data in a cluster is always striped across all nodes and hence works at the speed of the slowest node in the cluster.

Also if performance is the only concern, it would be more appropriate to set up a different cluster for 4335 (G3) nodes where the adaptive optimization will work very well with the mixed set of disks ( ssd n sas in each node).

Accept or Kudo

HPstorageTom
HPE Pro

Please note, that the data is still stripped across all nodes in the cluster. Adaptive Optimization will only happen in the 4335 nodes. Hence, as Ravi mentioned it is unlikely that you will see any noticeable performance improvement by simply adding a single 4335 to an G2 cluster.