1748039 Members
5175 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Adding new P4330 to 12.5 management group with P4300 G2 nodes

GlenRB
Advisor

Adding new P4330 to 12.5 management group with P4300 G2 nodes

I have cluster with three P4300G2 nodes running 12.5.  This is the highest patch level they can go to.  I need to add space so I'd like to add another node. 

Two questions.  I'm sure the new node will come with 12.6 code so I'm sure I won't be able to add that into a 12.5 management group, right?

Also, does it make sense to add a new P4330 to an old cluster of P4300G2 nodes.  I'm trying to save the customer some money and not have to buy all new nodes.

1 REPLY 1
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding new P4330 to 12.5 management group with P4300 G2 nodes

I believe you can add a newer version node to an older version (at least for theX.# incraments).

As for adding new version nodes to the old cluster, as long as the capacity size is at least as large and the speed of the unit is as least as fast, then you are not going to introduce a performance problem for the cluster...  basicaully the cluster will be as large as the smallest node size and as fast as the slowest node size... similar to triditional raid design in that aspect.  The balance here is that you don't want to pay extra for a new node which is way faster or way larger than the existing nodes as you will be spending extra money on that node and not getting the full benefit on it.