4646 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Adding p4300 to existing cluster....

silus
Advisor

Adding p4300 to existing cluster....

Hi,

We have a cluster of 6 P4300 nodes and want to add 4 more to the cluster.  The nodes are all version 9.5 .

The nodes have been built and added to the existing management group but NOT the cluster.

I realised after adding the nodes to the MG that I had not set the nics to ALB teaming. So went to change this setting and it gives me this warning:

Changing these settings may cause a logout. The following volumes and snapshots will become unavailable until the storage system is rediscovered on the network

And in the box below lists the NR0 luns in the cluster.

Why is it giving this error when the nodes are not in the cluster, only in the MG?  Is this correct? Am I correct in thinking I can safely go ahead and change this setting as the nodes have not been added to the cluster no data should have been striped, and this will only happen at the point of adding to the cluster?

It does seem a bit odd that after adding to the MG there seems to be a fair amount of disk activity, judging by the disk lights. I have double checked and they were not mistakenly added to the cluster.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
5y53ng
Regular Advisor

Re: Adding p4300 to existing cluster....

I'm not sure about the ALB and the warning message, but I noticed that the HP storage systems seem to do something to the disks when you add them to the management group. It's almost as if they are zeroing out free space or formatting the disks. This activity continues for several hours depending on the number of disks and and their capacity.

silus
Advisor

Hmm strange. If I go to the Availability tab for each node not in the cluster, it says 'The following volumes and snapshots will become unavailable if storage system goes offline' and lists nothing in that table, which is what I would expect.

So am a bit baffled as to why when I go to change the nic properties it tells me my network raid 0 luns will go offline?

I'd expect that if they were already in the cluster but they're not yet?

silus
Advisor

Just to confirm, was able to edit the teaming preferenaces and did not take the NR0 luns offline.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

six nodes with NR0?  I don't know what you are thinking there unless you really really don't care about availability.