1747988 Members
4749 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

After adding P4330 to existing P4300 cluster - I get storage system "not ready"

Dan Bil
Occasional Visitor

After adding P4330 to existing P4300 cluster - I get storage system "not ready"

I recently got a p4330 storage system to add to my 2xP4300 cluster.

After I added the new box to the cluster manager / cluster it restripes the drives as expected.

After the striping is done the new p4330 constantly cycles between "up" "down" and "not ready" about every 30 minutes.

I am running v10.5.00.0149.0 on all nodes.

I treed removing and reinstalling the new node but the same thing happened.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Diagnostics also ran OK with no errors.

Thanks,

Dan

5 REPLIES 5
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: After adding P4330 to existing P4300 cluster - I get storage system "not ready"

generally these are network issues and I would check your switch and cable.

You aren't seeing the node reboot are you?  Its just showing down/up right?  usually thats a network problem.  Check flow control and jumbo-frames first.

Dan Bil
Occasional Visitor

Re: After adding P4330 to existing P4300 cluster - I get storage system "not ready"

I checked frame size and flow control - all were set the same. I moved the new stroage box to a different switch and it worked better, but would only stay up for 20 minutes at a time. Eventually the new box synced up  and was stable. I then added the box to the cluster and it immediatly went down and took the whole cluster down too. Everything is "not ready" now.

Dan

oikjn
Honored Contributor

all enabled or all disabled?

adding a node to a cluter should have no affect on quorum unless it has a manager running on it and even then it shouldn't stop quorum unless you weren't running the correct number of managers to begin with OR your network is having a heart attack. 

what switches are you running?  are you sure there isn't some sort of STP function or other link managment action going on with your switches? 

either way this sounds like its affecting production so I would be on the horn w/ tech support and get them to figure it out.  please let us know what the problem was when you figure it out.  My vote is network configuration at the switch but definitiely go to support if you can't find it quickly.

Dan Bil
Occasional Visitor

I finally figured out why my new storage box had so much trouble. I orginally set up the new p4330 on the bench for intial configuration. inbetween the new p4330 and the existing cluster was a tippingpoint appliance. tippingpoint did not like the iSCSI traffic. I bypassed tippingpoint and everthing worked!

Dan

Prakash Singh_1
HPE Pro

Hi,

For StoreVirtual/P4000 SAN solutions querries you can also visit the HP Guided troubleshooting tree.

Below is the link for HPGT:

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-905&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=304617&h_audience=smb&h_client=s-h-e010-1&h_audiencerestrict=true&lang=en&cc=us

I work for HP

Regards,

PS
To assign points on this post? Click the white Thumbs up below!