108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: CMC management group change

chrisb101
Occasional Contributor

CMC management group change

Hi,

Quick question :

I added a 4 node (2x2) stretched cluster to a new management group but we dont have a FOM for it, so I'd like to move it to an existing production management group. This existing management group has a FOM for the clusters already in production so could the new clusters just be removed from the new management group and added to the existing one? 

Bear in mind that they are on 2 different iscsi networks but both can be seen by the CMC.

Any advice appreciated!

Chris

6 REPLIES 6
oikjn
Honored Contributor

you can't do that kind of change but MAYBE support has a tool to allow them to do that.

another alternative, if you don't require them to be on the same management group is to just put a 2nd FOM on the host that runs the current FOM.  Not ideal as its generally easier to have everything under a single mgt group, but that is an option.

chrisb101
Occasional Contributor

Yes I thought of that but I think the FOM is physical - need to confirm. If so I've broached the subject of virtualising it so we can do what you suggest.

Thanks for the advice!

Chris

oikjn
Honored Contributor

check that one.  I've never heard of a physical FOM.  They are all virtual to my knowledge.  Only caviot is that you cannot host the FOM from a LUN that is served by the SAN...  chicken & egg issues ;).

We run all VSAs and all the hosts have a VSA and our backup server at our primary site hosts the FOM.  We don't run a multi-site cluster and just use remote snapshots.  In a DR situation, the backup site would go offline until we restore the FOM to the DR site and turn it on.  We figure that fits into our RO allowable timeframe.  A 3rd site for FOM would be ideal, but we chose the cheaper route knowing it will cause a slight delay in the recovery time in a DR situation.

chrisb101
Occasional Contributor

Ok I'll find out - if it's virtual it would make things easier but connectivity to the same iSCSI network might be an issue, as I seem to remember all NICs are in use on the FOM.

Basically I've built this new set of VSAs that are separate to the production systems (which I don't officially have access to) and I'd prefer to keep it that way, so originally I just made a completely separate management group. I guess I could have just made a separate cluster and made use of the existing FOM.

Thanks for advice so far!

Chris

oikjn
Honored Contributor

a 2nd cluster usually is enough seporation unless you are really really paranoid.  That said, a 2nd FOM is nothing much if you can put that on the same host as your current FOM.  I'd be willing to bet your FOM is a VM... I've never heard of one NOT as a VM and don't even think they have code to allow it to be physical...  there is no FOM hardware appliance they sell and I can't see them selling an install for a physical without selling it as a complete set.

Assuming your FOM is virtual, I don't see why it can't share the same pNic as the existing FOM as the network usage for the FOM is minimal.

chrisb101
Occasional Contributor

"Assuming your FOM is virtual, I don't see why it can't share the same pNic as the existing FOM as the network usage for the FOM is minimal."

Connecting to a second iSCSI network on the FOM would be problematic simply because all NICs are currently in use and routing between the two is not in place or planned. There's no common management interface on the exising P4500s or  VSAs (if CMC could even manage over that?) so I'm limited to using the separate iSCSI interfaces for the CMC.

I think I will just end up freeing up a NIC on the FOM somehow and repurposing that.

Thanks once again. Apologies for the long delays in replying, I only really work on this project once a month at the moment! :)

Chris