1748180 Members
4344 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CMC-warning: alarms may not be available

phillbl1
Frequent Advisor

CMC-warning: alarms may not be available

Hi, I have just installed a left hand san, 2 servers, 2 storage nodes, Raid 10 and configured the failover manager on a seperate server.

I have configured the management group, site, added the torage, presented etc.

The strange thing is, where the alarms are displayed it always says, warning: alarms may not be available. The issue may be due to a momentary communication interruption with the network..... blah blah The system will continue to attemp to communicate blah blah

Is this normal as its only a warning or could it be that i have missed something?

Thanks
28 REPLIES 28
Fred Blum
Valued Contributor

I have only seen that message after the SANiQ 9 update and reboot and treated it as a boot sequence issue.

Can you check the alarm date and time?
phillbl1
Frequent Advisor

I have just upgraded my SANiQ and rebooted them.

Check the date and time of the alarm? This is not an alarm that is listed and i cant do anything with the message. Its just listed in status in the alarm section.

I have also just noticed the when i click on servers the site tab has Upgrade to use in the tab. Any idea why this is? I have updated everything i think.

Thanks
Fred Blum
Valued Contributor

You are right I checked and it is not logged under events. You might check the service bundle export logs if it is logged anywhere and want to be sure. I am taking it as a termporal thing as I only noticed it after an upgrade reboot, never came back, abnd alarms are functioning.
Mark Sakamoto

I too, have the same "alarms may not be available" in the status area of the alarms section. I didn't think twice about it till I attempted to do a patch upgrade.

The upgrade fails with the error "there was a problem getting the alarm list for the management group xxxx"..Canceling all futher installations.

Would these be related? The alarms are fine in the event log.

I have the upgrade selection mode on advanced and see there is only one patch for the p400 so not concerned about it.

Just worried about future upgrades with this error.
Willem Wismans
Occasional Advisor

I'm having the same problems. I installed 2 nodes, CMC 9 and updated the CMC. When I want to update the nodes it returns the same error.
Don't know if the alarms where not vissible before the CMC upgrade..

Help needed!!

See my attachement for the full error when I click it.
Jitun
HPE Pro

I think you will see the message if u have updated CMC to 9.0 but the Nodes are on 8.5 or lower.

Note if there are any firewalls or security programs in use. For example, note whether Windows firewall is active (try disabling it as a troubleshooting step) and what, if any devices might be in between the CMC and the SAN.
I work for HPE
--------------------------------------------------------------
How to assign points? Click the KUDOS! star!

Accept or Kudo

Willem Wismans
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jithu,

Your answer is correct, this happened when I tried upgrading. The CMC is in v9 now, but the nodes are not. When I want to upgrade the nodes, al these messages appear.

When I rebooted the nodes, some messages disappear, but I'm still stuck with the message on both nodes: "CIMServer" server is currently "down" and upgrading the nodes failes.
Willem Wismans
Occasional Advisor

Hi All,

I eventually ended up restoring both nodes.. HP couldn't fix this issue. Because I had the opportunity to restore (few data on the storage) I tried this. Complete restore and new management group & cluster and after the config the udates the problem was solved!

Willem
Rafael Fonseca
Occasional Advisor

Just to add my 2 cents:

Bought a brand new P4500 Virtualization SAN (2 physical nodes + 10-pack VSA).

They came pre-installed with SANiQ 9. The "Alarms may not be available" message persists, and attempting to install patches on the management group fail with "Could not retrieve alarms".

HP Support Tier 3 has been working on it for over a month now, with no solution.

I made the decision to go with the LeftHand solution instead of comparable NetApp and EMC offerings because all of the people I spoke to raved about the ease of use of the software. But I'm not impressed at all with how hard it has been to set these up.

VSA is a another beast. For some reason, trying to add a VSA to an existing management group comprised of only physical nodes causes the CMC to enter a never-ending loop.

Somehow, I think the issue causing the alarms to not be available (even though they show up) is causing all the other problems I'm seeing (including not being able to turn on SNMP).

:(