StoreVirtual Storage
1752599 Members
5243 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Cannnot join FOM to management group (RAID ERROR)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mick Negendahl
Advisor

Cannnot join FOM to management group (RAID ERROR)

Hello,

I just installed the FOM virtual appliance on our vSphere envoirement, and all went well, set up the IP correctly and so on, but after i found the FOM through the CMC console, and want to add my FOM to my exsisting management group i get the following error:

"Storage system FOM.DOMAIN.LOCAL (IP addr) did not join the management group group MGMT-GROUP NAME. RAID is not configured. Please configure RAID and try again"

Either i got it all wrong, and the FOM is more then just a failover manager, or there is a bug somewhere.

I have tried to reboot and re-install the FOM bur without any positive result.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

EDIT: I should add that im running Lefthand OS 12.

2 REPLIES 2
Mick Negendahl
Advisor
Solution

Re: Cannnot join FOM to management group (RAID ERROR)

Seems i have solved my own problem.

Reinstalled the appliance with thin disk provisioning, and 2 NICs, instead of thick and 1 NIC - now it joined sucessfully.

Hope it can help someone else never the less.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: Cannnot join FOM to management group (RAID ERROR)

strange. 

I can't speak for the esx install, but there should be no need for a 2nd nic and not sure about that thin provisioning deal...

sounds like the first install had some problem and didn't complete the setup for the VSA's storage virtual hard drive.  Since that was offline it was not able to store log/config data and therefore it didn't let it join the management group as a FOM.  its likely that if you went into the hardware tab of the FOM through CMC you would have seen some errors relating to the HDD. 

THe FOM only needs a single NIC/IP to work as as long as the IP can be routed and talk with the IPs of the other nodes, you should be fine.

My FOM (running on hyperV) has a single NIC, an IDE vhd for the OS and a SCSI vhd for the data/logs.  In talking with support, they did say that the FOM is more than just a vote for quorum and it also holds a copy of the configuration data for the management group and I assume also the logging data for the management group.

You can probably leave the thin disk provisioning alone, but you should probably remove the 2nd NIC if you don't have a need for it.