1751976 Members
5139 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Changing Flow Control After VSA is Created and Running

chadw_1
Advisor

Changing Flow Control After VSA is Created and Running

Is there any way to change the flow control settings of a VSA if it is already built and in production? We would like to enable flow control on the VSA.

I tried to do it from the CMC but it doesn't take and it has this in the help file:
---
Changing NIC flow control

You can enable flow control on the NICs to prevent data transmission overruns that result in packets being dropped. With flow-control enabled, network packets that would otherwise be dropped will not have to be retransmitted.

NOTE: The VSA does not support changing flow control settings.
---
Flow control is enabled on our switch / vlan ports that the VSA attaches to. As far as I can tell there is no way to set this in VSPHERE ESX 4.1 on the Vnics but I could be wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
cheazell
Advisor

Re: Changing Flow Control After VSA is Created and Running

I am experiencing this also. I am trying to turn on Flow control from within the CMC and it looks like it will work but then reverts back to default once the VSA is found again.

5y53ng
Regular Advisor

Hi,

I am bumping this thread to see if I can get any additional information. I try to enable flow control through the CMC as the original poster described and I experience the same problem. Is there a way to enable flow control on a VSA? I have tried removing the VSA from its cluster, removing from management group, and even creating a new VSA, but I am still unable to configure flow control.

Thanks.

RonsDavis
Frequent Advisor

Flow Control is not supported on the VSA. End of story.
VMware enables flow control on their ports by default as long as you have your ports set to Auto speed and duplex. You should get some benefit that way.
5y53ng
Regular Advisor

Thank Rons,

I did actually configure the physical switch for flow control, something along the lines of "flowcontrol receive desired" if I recall.  I did see the flow control come up on my ESXi hosts. I was hoping to have flow control setup end to end, but I guess this will have to do.