StoreVirtual Storage
1752290 Members
4860 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Clone volume possible without SmartClone?

Danny82

Clone volume possible without SmartClone?

Hi,

I'm new to HP Lefthand. In the past years i've used a Dell EqualLogic with a Citrix Xenserver setup.

Now I have a HP P4500 SAN with some servers and a VMware setup.

In my setup I want every VM is located on it's own volume on the SAN, so I can manage snapshot settings per volume. I've installed the first VM (Windows 2012) as a default VM, so now I want to clone the volume in the CMC of HP, and then add it as a new VM in VMware. After that rename it, change login/ip settings and install soms specific software on it.

My question is: how to clone a volume in the HP CMC? I've tried SmartClone, which works fine, but then I have a shared snapshot between the original volume and the clone volume and i'm not feeling fine with it (performance issues?). I need 8 copies of the original VM....

In my good old EqualLogic I can push one button to clone a volume, even it was possible to create a new volume from a snapshot.

Can someone help me with it? Or is it ok to simply use SmartClone and don't look for the shared snapshot which I can't delete (because "it's used by multiple volumes")?

Thanks,

Danny from Holland

2 REPLIES 2
Jamester
Occasional Advisor

Re: Clone volume possible without SmartClone?

I use remote copy to same MG and then make it a primary volume.

AlanByrneIT
Advisor

Re: Clone volume possible without SmartClone?

I've blogged about this here- http://alanbyrneit.wordpress.com/

I've detailed all the steps involved to duplicate a primary volume as another primary volume, hopefully you'll find it useful.