1751858 Members
5653 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Coming in SAN/iQ 9.5

Steve Burkett
Valued Contributor

Coming in SAN/iQ 9.5

Calvin Zito over at his HP Around the Storage Block blog has posted some video and podcasts with snippets of information about what's coming in SAN/iQ 9.5, as revealed by HP at this years VMworld.

Main points I've gleaned so far:

Application Managed Snapshots for VMware

New feature, whereby triggering a P4000 snapshot will also cause your vCenter server to snap all the VM's in that datastore, in a quiesced state, in the hardware snap. So if you then attach that snapshot to your ESXi servers, you can see your VMware snapshot within, the VM's are all in a consistent state and you can restore using the VMware Snap Manager.

So if you set up a snapshot schedule in your P4000, it'll also at the same time be taking regular VMware snapshots. With the VMware snapshot it will ask the VMtools installed in the guest Windows VM's to use VSS to get a quiesced state snapshot, for application/database consistency.

CMC

Introduces a new 'SAN Status Homepage' which gives summary of multiple management groups rather then having to log in to each management group manually. Can put this homepage on a second monitor for easy view of your complete P4000 environment

Remote Copy

Improvements to performance, dramatic improvements in speed of volume scans, now down to seconds rather then minutes which means you can have aggressively scheduled snapshots and copy's to your remote site.

VSA

Zero to VSA:  Now much easier to install VSA. Also adds the ability for scriptable configuration and installation of VSA's so you can deploy consistently to multiple branch offices in a shorter amount of time.

Peer Motion support

Adds support for HP's Peer Motion software which gives the ability to migrate data online between tiers of storage or to a completely new SAN without interruption in service.

SAN/iQ 9.5 is due for general availability in October. Fingers crossed!

30 REPLIES 30
cheazell
Advisor

For me the big question will be what Hardware Version will the VSA support and therefore what Nics can we use & Will Jumbo Framces be supported.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Just upgraded to version 9.5... Worked all without issues, all volumes stayed nicely online... As expected...

VM version is 8, VMware Tools running (3rd party-independent)

NIC of the VM is flexible, also E1000 is selectable but didn't try that yet... Have some other tests planned before...

I do not see anything regarding Jumbo Frames though I assume this is something more for ESX instead of the VSA itself... Of all the installations that I do already with physical and virtual storage nodes, I do not suggest using Jumbo Frames... A lot of hassle and no real speed advantages...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Aart Kenens
Advisor

What about the integration with vCenter? Anyone tested?

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

What do you mean with the integration of vCenter? Or what do you expect?

Yes I have it running already...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aart Kenens
Advisor

Can these snapshots be offloaded towards a backup device?
Eg: HP dataprotector 6.2?

Because now the only way to offload snapshot from the Lefthand is by using ZDB and this only supports RDM.
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Currently you can already connect snapshots to other servers for backups so I don't see the issue there?

New is that integrated snapshots can be created now from VMFS volumes... This means that all VM's will be queiesced by vCenter before the P4000 snapshot is taken...

I didn't have the time yet to test this, I will put it on my shortlist of things to try... But I see these options in the CMC so I assume it will work also...

Kr,

Bart

Aart Kenens
Advisor

I am assuming you're testing a beta of the SANIQ9.5?

Is it possible to aquire this release through HP? We are evaluating our backup solution and this plays a major role in our decision.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I am in the released control set group of users that are installing the final code of 9.5 and reporting feedback... Since I am a heavy P4000 consultant/implementer/trainer which visited HP Discover, it opened some doors for me... Untill now no issues reported, all looks running fine...

I expect (I am not working for HP...) the code to be released soon, mentioned dates are october...

Kr,

Bart

rules
Occasional Advisor

Multiple vCPU's will be properly supported in this version I hope?