StoreVirtual Storage
1748147 Members
3797 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Comments/Opinions on upgrading to v10?

Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

Had anyone success in upgrading a VSA on Hyper-V?

We have 3 nodes and a FOM, 2 of them are within VMWare, and 1 on Hyper-V. 

Setup seems to stall on Hyper-V with Initialisation. It seems nothing was partly upgraded, but it stopps us upgrading the management group. 

Could it be a memory issue? 
I figured too late, that the new requirements for 1,5 TB is 3 GB, which was 1 GB earlier. 

But nethertheless, even on VMWare with 1 GB RAM and 1,5 TB it could initialize the setup. 

I changed it to 1,5 GB RAM and no change. We will have to get more ram on that server first and then try it with 3 GB. But somehow I doubt this is the reason, as checks don't warn you, aswell as it was only the init, which worked fine on VMware. 

Last message always was: 

Received an UpgradeScriptStatus message from the install server running on the node It was : platform configuration: '/mnt/lhnupgrade/platforms/HVNSM.sh' ...

Thanks

Patrick

oikjn
Honored Contributor

I upgraded hyper-v VSAs "without" issue.  The upgrade process stalled for me while the CMC said it was waiting for node.  Turned out the default gateway was reset and I had to manually open the VSA's console and reset the IP information for the node.  Once reset and rebooted everything continued along just fine.  This was supposed to be fixed in the latest v10 patch.

Are you really memory strapped?  I thought the suggestion was something like 4GB.  I know they upped the reccomendation with v10, but I can't remember what it is.

Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

Hi, ok good to hear. I checked the issue with the gateway but that was there. So you mean rebooting the node during the setup hangs could help?

Didn't to lot of updates with Lefthands so far, as we have our P4500 on Main Site, and VSA on our local site only since May last year, and those updates still scare me, especially when something hangs. After the 60 minute timeout I rebooted all nodes and nothing was installed. At the moment I just want to update our local site. 

So the only assumption is still RAM (even that VMWare didn't have the problem), we will go for recommended settings. And probably as it goes through our firewall into the ISCSI LAN, that the session expires and CMC doesn't pick it up again? We noticed disconnections to our VSA's from CMC pretty quick, which is a result of shorter session time outs. Haven't thought of that earlier. Might be Hyper-V takes longer to answer as VMWare... 

What I wonder at memory is: "At least this much memory", what's the advantage of more memory, as it's not used for caching?

About memory, this is what they say in the guide

Table 4 Memory requirements for VSA for Hyper-V disks
Total capacity of all installed disks Requires at least this much memory
5 GB to 500 GB 3 GB
500 GB to 5 TB 4 GB
5 TB to 10 TB 5 GB

Thanks

Patrick

danletkeman
Frequent Advisor

Patrick,

I have the same problem as you.  I have a support ticket, in, but at the moment guys at HP don't see anything in the logs.  It has gone to engineering, so I don't expect a fix for a while.  My nodes all have 6GB of memory and 3.5 TB of storage, running on esxi 5.1.

I also tried the latest update with my laptop on the same subnet to see if my issue was due to the gateway problem, and it still didn't upgrade.  Maybe it won't ever upgrade now that it is broken.

Thinking I might just rebuild it on 10.

Dan.

Patrick Neuner
Regular Advisor

Hi,

did you get this issue solved?

Did it also stop at the first node or done more than that?

I haven't retried yet as we wanted to be sure having enough ram before doing so. 

But any updated info would be useful so I know if I should prepare needing support ;)

Thanks

Patrick 

danletkeman
Frequent Advisor

Originally when I tried upgrading to 10.0.00.1888 and it failed on node 4, and 5 out of the 5 nodes that I have.

I was about to rebuild ours on version 10, but I thought I would give the udpate another try after they released version 10.0.00.1896.  And it worked, but I did have to reboot node 4 and 5 to clear out the unfinished upgrade from the upgrade partition.

Dan.