1748216 Members
3536 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Configure HA on the Volumes

BobAusmus
Occasional Visitor

Configure HA on the Volumes

I have (2) Hyper-V hosts. I am using VSA to server up the local storage on each hyper-v host. I need to mirror the local storage from each host to the other for failover. This is currently not working. Has anyone done this before?

3 REPLIES 3
oikjn
Honored Contributor

what are you asking here?

Are you asking if you can have two hyper-v hosts with their own local storage, then setup VSAs on each and use that to create a shared storage for both of those hosts to use?  If so, then the answer is yes you can do that... its exactly what the VSAs were created to do.  Then its just a matter of reading the manual for understanding how to setup and configure management groups/clusters/LUNs within the VSA SAN.

BobAusmus
Occasional Visitor

Yes that is what I am asking. But also asking if the local storage on each host is mirrored to the other host for failover. So say that one host dies. Can the other host take over for it and serve up all of the local storage from the failed host? (Taking into consideration there is enough room). 

Also, where do you have the FOM installed? I have it on the two hosts but HP is telling me to install it on a workstation? Seems weird for production to have to rely on a workstation?

oikjn
Honored Contributor

your local storage is just that... local.  Its not mirrored, but the storage that you provide to the VSA node is used within the VSA system.  Once used in the VSA system you can configure your LUNs to be mirrored and provide the storage you are looking for.  Read the HP guides as they explain this.

As far as the FOM goes, you have to install it on a 3rd computer.  That can be a workstation running hyper-v or another server, but it has to be a 3rd system because without that, its impossible for a two-node system to get a majority quorum.  Assuming you have a server for backups, you can install the FOM on that one.  It doesn't use a lot or resources, but its needed to be the tie-breaker vote in case the two nodes lose communication between eachother.

I have a setup just like this where I have VSAs installed on my Hyper-v hosts and they use their local storage to create a shared storage SAN that can sustain a loss of a node without loss of data availability.