StoreVirtual Storage
1751954 Members
4780 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Copy of FOM in second site

Copy of FOM in second site

Hi guys,
I am looking at a multi-site cluster solution with one node in each site.
In this solution a third site wont be available for FOM, so a logical site will be created in one of the sites for FOM.
If the site with FOM fails then the second site will not have quorum. Would it be possible for me to take a copy of the FOM and have it sitting waiting on the second site?
Would there be any issues if i brought up the FOM on the second site if it has been off for a number of months?
thanks
DC
7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I don't think that will work, but there is a quorum recovery mechanism available.
Dirk Trilsbeek
Valued Contributor

I'm trying something similar. My FOM is running on a local storage on one of my VMWare VSphere nodes. I'd like to copy the FOM to another local storage. But by default the FOM disks are configured as independent disks, therefore i can't make a backup with vcbMounter. I'd have to shutdown the FOM, connect with sftp, copy the files, restart the FOM. Does anyone know if it really is required to keep the FOM disks independent? I don't want to mess up our environment and i currently have no appropriate test environment.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You must not make clones of VSAs or FOMs when they are part of a management group!
Steve McGee
Occasional Advisor

You are safe to shut down FOM long enough to sftp your vhd to another esx box or other storage.

just remount and bring back online and you'll be fine, never missing a beat.

But are you safe to shu it down, copy it, and bring it online a few weeks later if the original is not contactable?
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi
I think in this instance you may be better off with a virtual manager (VM).
Create the VM but DO NOT start it. Then if one of your nodes goes down you can start up VM on the surviving node to regain quorum.
Remember to stop it once the other node is back up.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Danel_1
Frequent Advisor

hi ,

the copy of the fom can be used , i have tested this solution , but you must fix the mac address before add the fom as a failover manager.

i you loose a site (one node + fom) , to regain quorum on the second site you must start the fom copy.

Danel