StoreVirtual Storage
1752786 Members
6135 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DSM MPIO - How many sessions should I see?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

DSM MPIO - How many sessions should I see?

I assigned a volume directly from the CMC to a Windows 2008 R2 VM.

In the VM I installed the DSM MPIO and discovered the target and ticked the "Use mult-path" option in the iSCSI initiator.

Looking in the CMC I'm only showing a single session/connection to that volume.

I expected to see multiple sessions even with just a single NIC in the server - I guess I've misunderstood or missed something?

This is SANiQ 9.0 with the latest Windows Solution Pack as downloaded by the CMC.

Thanks,
Paul
4 REPLIES 4
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

I believe you should see up to 2 sessions. One for the VIP session and then one for each node you have in the cluster.

So if you had six storage nodes in the cluster, you'd see 7 sessions. Did you set an iSCSI VIP for your single node cluster?
Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

Our clusters are each 2 nodes.

In the CMC I'm just seeing a single connection from the MS iSCSI initiator to the volumes gateway connection.

I can add a session manually to the iSCSI initiator but I thought that was the entire point of installing the DSM, that it would do that for me so long as I ticked the MPIO option?
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor
Solution

I would reinstall MPIO (uninstall it, then reboot, then reinstall it). Also make sure you have the most up to date version.

You should have 3 connections for each volume and you are absolutely correct, it should create the connections for you automatically (typically takes 10-15 seconds after the initial connection for the MPIO ones to get connected).
Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

That's strange I thought I replied to this much earlier but it isn't there.

I reinstalled the DSM MPIO and rebooted and it seems to have sorted itself out now and I see multiple connections 6 per target which would make sense with dual NICs.

Thanks Bryan, still not sure if it was the reinstall or the reboot but no matter.