1751707 Members
5297 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ESXi 4.1 w/ VSA Auto-Start

Gregory J. Boehnlein
Occasional Advisor

ESXi 4.1 w/ VSA Auto-Start

I am considering updating to ESXi on my Lab Vmware cluster and I wanted to know if anyone has a solution for automatically starting the VSA on boot and forcing a re-scan of the software iSCSI initiator as we do with ESX?

I am using a script that I downloaded somewhere off of this message board called: lhinstall.

Any suggestions?
4 REPLIES 4
adolbec
Advisor

Re: ESXi 4.1 w/ VSA Auto-Start

Hi,

That is why in our case we went with the standard ESX console to ensure that the startup and shutdown of the host would properly sequence the starting/stopping of the appliance and iSCSI connections.

You may have to activate the unsupported console mode on the ESXi, we did not try that because of potential support issues and the problems that may arise every time you update your ESXi. You could also investigate doing this using the vMA; you should be able to plugin your scripts in the appliance and then control your hosts from there.

Alain
aqualityplace
Advisor

Did you ever find a suitable solution for this?

Our plan was to set VMA (installed on local storage) to automatically boot 5 min after the VSA. This could have a script to get the esxi hosts to rescan for storage on boot
doublejae
Visitor

Any one find a solution to this?  I am in the same boat and need ESXi 4.1 to do a recan after the VSAs have booted up.  Once ESXi sees the iSCSI volumes the rest of the VMs need to boot. 

bublik
Valued Contributor