1748183 Members
3604 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Email configuration error after upgrading to 9.0

Brent Nussbaum
Occasional Contributor

Email configuration error after upgrading to 9.0

After upgrading to 9.0 we get an alarm on one node that we are unable to clear or correct. We tried searching for the error code and tried the links provided, and we are unable to find anything. Do any of you know what this error is, and how to fix it?

Error is attached
7 REPLIES 7
BennyO
Advisor

Re: Email configuration error after upgrading to 9.0

I have seen this error when you do not have an SMTP server configured for email alerts. Look under your Mangement Group > Events, there should be an Email option. Click on the Email Tasks and then do Edit Email Settings and enter in a valid SMTP server and alert email address. In v8.5 it did not care if you don't have email alerts configured, in v9.0 now it cares.
Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

I've had this on mine. The configuration is correct, but one node seems to randomly decide that it isn't.

These are SANiQ 9.x and were imaged to 9.0 using the restore DVD so there should be no "leftovers".

I have HP remoting in today to check a couple of things so I'll add this to the list.
Brent Nussbaum
Occasional Contributor

I think our error is coming from our mail server not being able to communicate with our san network. We are going to try to allow communication and see if that corrects the issue.
Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

If your P4000 is behind a router/firewall which NAT's you should only need an outbound rule from the P4000 to the network which the SMTP server is on.

You shouldn't need bi-direction communication with the obvious caveat that the SMTP server has to be able to route to the IP the SMTP traffic is appearing to come from.
Brent Nussbaum
Occasional Contributor

We are actually using VLan Access groups on our switch to block all our local traffic, except for 2 management pc's. This would prevent the exchange server from communicating with my SAN network. We do allow the SAn network to communicate with our LAN, so I think the SNa attempt to connect to the Mail server, and then don't get a reply back.
Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

AFAIK if you're using routing the mail server would still need a route back to the IP that it's seeing making the connection.

We (currently) have our P4000 behind a NAT'ing firewall - we only have rules in place for outbound traffic and because the SMTP server sees the connection as originating from the local network segment it works just fine.

If the firewall was routing rather than NAT'ing we'd still need the SMTP server to have a route back to the IP that's connecting to sending the mail, I'd assume the same applies with your routing switch.
Olvi_1
Frequent Advisor

You can also use some SMTP Dummy to get rid of the alerts. Specially if you want to keep iSCSI network closed or even physically separated.

Weird thing is that HP seems to require that iSCSI SAN has to have connection to email server. And even has to have email server!

Maybe this will change in next SAN/iQ release or with some patch fix.

-Olvi