1748151 Members
3614 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

FOM Basic Question

Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

FOM Basic Question

I've had a two node P4500 G2 cluster arrive as a demo unit.

I've been re-familiarizing myself with things (it's been a year since I've had hands-on with a VSA).

So with just two nodes, if I pull the power on one node I can't ping the VIP until I sort the quorum by starting a virtual manager on the remaining node.

Tomorrow I intend setting up a couple of VSA's to mimic a second site and I'd like to add a FOM to automate failover should I lose a site.

What I'm damned if I can remember is, if I have two sites and a dedicated physical iSCSI LAN, where should I put the FOM to avoid "split brain"?
2 REPLIES 2
teledata
Respected Contributor

Re: FOM Basic Question

At whichever site you wish to retain active volume connectivity in the event of a link failure.

IMHO I would take a "snapshot" of the FoM virtual machine and keep an offline copy at your second site, so you could "start" the FoM at the 2nd site if you needed to.

I've heard it referred to to use a 3rd (either physical or logical) location for the FoM, but to me that adds an additional point of failure. I'd keep the FoM at my primary site.
http://www.tdonline.com
Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

Re: FOM Basic Question

Thanks for that, installed the FOM on the local storage on the ESX box hooked up to the demo unit and it fails over beautifully (with the problem in my other post).