1752652 Members
5788 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

FOM - How is yours setup?

Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

FOM - How is yours setup?

I'm looking at how easy (time and money) it would be to add a physical third site to a P4000 deployment to hold a FOM.

Nodes in Site A and Site B
Single subnet "stretch cluster" to accomodate vSphere MPIO.
Dedicated iSCSI switches.

Given the single subnet, routing from FOM to Site A and Site B would be tricky as it's the same network in both sites.

If the switches are all Procurve MSTP/STP/RSTP *should* sort out port blocking?

Curious how you're all doing this with two sites I'm torn on how to deal with losing the primary site.

Basic potential diagram attached - the links shown as 1gbps between A and C and B and C might only be 100mbps (enough for FOM).
4 REPLIES 4
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Re: FOM - How is yours setup?

Hi,
From the h/w perspective you only need a suitable PC with windows XP and VMware player (or whatever it is called) and then the FOM from the s/w cd can be installed and configured.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

"From the h/w perspective you only need a suitable PC with windows XP and VMware player (or whatever it is called) and then the FOM from the s/w cd can be installed and configured.
Mark..."

Thanks Mark. Right now I'm leaning towards a third location with a switch, UPS, and a cheap PC/microserver running Windows or ESXi and the FOM.

How to run the FOM isn't really the issue, it's more the "best practise" that you all follow.

Plan A was simply two sites where the P4000 nodes are, but the more I've read the more I've realised that if I lose the primary site I have a real problem to promote the secondary site (recover quorum seems the only way) hence this looks the better option.
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi Paul,
If a loss of service, as in quorum lost and no data access, is not too big a problem then why not use the VM??
If site A goes down, start the VM on a manager on site B. If B goes down start the VM on site A.
If you require the data access to stay on-line then the FOM is probably the way to go.
Hopefully someone else will be able to sort you out on the links aspect.
Mark..
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Paul Hutchings
Super Advisor

Mark,

These things always happen in the middle of the night or a weekend and if I can prevent it for a minimal cost (switches & SFP's) it seems sensible.

I have three switches setup right now, just messing about with Spanning Tree to deal with the network loops but it all seems to work perfectly.