1748027 Members
4551 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: FOM fails to remain online

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

You 'can'  have better performance, but like Jitun says you can/will have more issues setting it up and troubleshooting afterwards than you will have advantages...

I have also done som serious testing with it and I came to a magical improvement of 1.5%!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Peter J West
Frequent Advisor

Hi everyone,

Again thanks for taking the time to comment - it's really appreciated.

I have to agree - setting up Jumbo Frames and Flow Control has been a bit of a PITA, but in this case it wasn't the cause of my problem.

The issue actually turned out to be down to me not thinking about the VM Environment i'm using to host the FOM and how the network there was configured.

Our Virtual Environment has multiple vSwitches defined so that we can group vmNIC's together for the different kinds of traffic.  Unfortunately what i'd neglected to do was add a Port Group to the SAN vSwitch.  This meant that I was trying to use an IP from outside of the SAN IP Range and worse still it was routing it via switches which werent' configured for Flow Control or Jumbo Frames.

If i'd not have had these options enabled then of course the configuration would have worked but the routing being used wouldn't have been the most efficient.

I started by modifying the VMWare configuration and then reinstalling the FOM using an IP for the SAN range.  This worked but I have to admit that the headaches caused by Jumbo Frames and Flow Control ultimately have led to me turning it off.  The final straw came when I tried to enable the options on the FOM only to find that it simply wouldn't enable the options.

We're not particularly stressing our environment at the moment so I figure we don't really need the small gains it's going to give us - if we get further down the line and we hit a problem then of course we can return to the options then.

Thanks again for all of your help.  The system is working quite happily now with 2 managers in each of the sites and a FOM sat in a third location (using direct-attached storage on one of the ESXi Servers).

Pete