5274 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Failover manager without VMWare

INR
Advisor

Failover manager without VMWare

Hello.

I've recently bought two P43000 lefthand nodes and I didn't realize (no one told me) that it was required a third party element for getting quorum in case of failure.

Failover manager is the which for that purpose. The issue is that this application needs to be executed using a Virtual Machine, but I think that this virtual server is linux based and my question is regarding to if it's possible to install a specific software running as a process in a linux machine without the need of running a VM Ware client. My platform is redHat Enterprise.

The most important reason for not using a VM Client and looking for an alternative is that all of my serves are dedicated for real time and high computing purposes and  VMWare resources comsuption were not planned. So, perhaps, a virtual machine will break everything!!

HP technician has told that there is a manual way to decide which node is master and which one is slave in case of failure. Perhaps, using SNMP and developing a shell script, we could make the same as failover manager or perhaps there is a way to force which one is always master... I don't know

Of course, I could buy another server or another lefthand node, but my economy and my budget don't allow me that. xD.

Thank you so much and best regards.

3 REPLIES 3
Batish

Hi

You can run FOM on VMware Server that is supported on Linux based machines.

http://register.vmware.com/content/download.html

INR
Advisor

Hi.

Yes, it could be a possibility but what I really don't want is to install a virtual machine and reduce my CPU and RAM resources.

I was looking for installing a process or a service in my linux server so it could make the same features as failover manager without using a VM.

Thank you anyway.

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The "manual way" is adding a so-called "Virtual Manager".

Attention please! The Virtual Manager must not be running during normal operation. It is started manually on the surviving storage node after the disaster has knocked off the other one.