New Discussion

Re: Firmware upgrade from CMC 9.0 to 10.5

SOLVED
Go to solution
cidic
Advisor

Firmware upgrade from CMC 9.0 to 10.5

Hi Geeks,

I have two nodes of P4300G2 8TB each and current version from CMC is 9.0.

I was wondering if I upgrade from the CMC(since I can see some upgrades 10.5 have been downloaded and available) then everything would be upgraded including the firware itself..

Im new to this and would need assisstance here on the requirements of down time and if possible some brief advise here.

Thank you very much

Cidic.

4 REPLIES 4
oikjn
Honored Contributor

you can upgrade just about everything through CMC.  I believe there might be some hardware firmware updates that have to be done w/ an offline boot disk, but the OS and some various other firmware parts can be updated completely through CMC.

Since you are so far behind, you might want to contact tech support for assistance on how to make sure the HDDs and other hardware that might not update through CMC gets updated first and then upgrade to the latest CMC version...  you might want to wait on updating to 10.5 and just wait for 11.0 to come out as it should be released in the next month or so and then you can just skip the 10.5 version completely.

oikjn
Honored Contributor

oh yea.. since you are new at this... redundancy of data is designated at the LUN level. Since you have two nodes, make sure you have your LUNs all defined as Network Raid (NR) 10 and then you can do non-disruptive updates to your SAN. You should NEVER use NR 0 for anything but a test LUN that you don't need availability or data protection on and if you ever get more nodes, NR5 is not worth using unless its a read-only archive store.
cidic
Advisor

Thank you oikjn, Yes I have Network RAID -10(2 way mirror) for my Volumes and while each of my cluster is RAID 5.

I think, I will have to contact hp tech support for further advise since you mentioned that some hardware firmware needs update via offline boot disk but otherwise I should at least update everything via CMC.

Thank you

oikjn
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you have support, I would definitely contact them about the offline firmware updates for some of the hardware.  In the meantime, since you have NR10, you can safely update to v10.5 without contacting support.

Keep in mind that v11 is comming out "any day", so if you can wait, you might as well wait until it comes out to upgrade to the current StoreVirtual OS.