1753730 Members
4667 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP P4500 G2 Networking

L1nklight
Valued Contributor

HP P4500 G2 Networking

I will be preparing to stand up a set of 4 HP P4500 G2s. Each one will have a 10GbE adapter and of course the normal on board NIC ports, and the Mangament Interface. I recently had a meeting with HP and the technical/sales engineer told me that the CMC and iSCSI traffic must be in the same network. What I had intended on doing was splitting the networks, isolating the iSCSI traffic to the 10GbE adpater (2 interfaces on it) and isolating the CMC traffic to the 2 on board NICs. Based off of what the HP engineer mentioned, this is not best practice. Is this true? Even with multiple NIC cards?

4 REPLIES 4
balblas
Advisor

Not true. From the P4000 CMC Help file:

Split network configurations

Implement a split network configuration to use the CMC on a management network separate from the storage or iSCSI network. HP recommends that you only configure a management network when the storage systems are equipped with a sufficient number of network adapters so that the storage systems can support both bonded NICs for optimal redundancy and performance on the storage network, along with a separate management interface. Keep in mind the following requirements when considering the creation of a management network.

Configure a management network only if your storage systems have two or more NICs. Two NICs are the minimum number required to create a bonded interface for the storage network to provide maximum redundancy and performance.

L1nklight
Valued Contributor

Thanks again for the assistance Balblas. I read that part too in the documenatation but when an HP engineer says that the CMC and the iSCSI traffic have to be in the same network, it makes you second guess yourself. 

Just to recap:

Do you see any issues with me sticking the iSCSI traffic in a 172.16.16.0 network while the CMC traffic is isolated to the 192.168.10.0 subnet?

GAW

I have HP P4500 G2 14.4TB SAS Virtualization SAN Solution (S/N CZJ101NLM) with HP P4000 G2 10G BASE-SFP+ Upgrade Kit (P/N BQ891A).

I have installed 10G  adapters into SAN Solution, Update All firmware.

Storage consists of two parts.

Every part of storage have now 2 Gigabit interfaces (built into the motherboard), and 2 10G interfaces (From Upgrade Kit).
I have merged Each pair is merged into the group:
2x1 Gbps - a group of active-passive and the resulting virtual interface Ip address is assigned to the subnet 10.2.89.x. (This interface is specified as an interface control SAN / iQ)
2x10 Gbps - a group with an adaptive network balancing, and assigned the resulting virtual interface Ip address from the subnet 10.2.55.x.

10.2.89.x тАУ Management network
10.2.55.h - iSCSI Network

Then I have two of the store combining in one cluster, for two parts as a whole need to assign a virtual IP address of the cluster to which it will connect to the server. He must be from the network 10.2.55.x. But the system allows me to specify the subnet address only 10.2.89.x.

If I point out that the management interface is a group of 10G interfaces, it allows me to specify the IP subnets from any of the two.

How do I do so, the interface control SAN / iQ remained in the subnet 10.2.89.x, a cluster virtual IP network was 10.2.55.x?

L1nklight
Valued Contributor

I actually had a long conversation with a LHN vetran of about 7 years on this exact topic. Long story short GAW, you cannot configure the 4500s like this. The management IP/VIPs have to be in the same subnet regardless. Your management network and iSCSI network have to have similar IP addresses as the 4500s do not have the ability to seperate management traffic from iSCSI traffic. I was very surprised by this as well.