3591 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP SAN storage volume creation issue

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

HP SAN storage volume creation issue

Hi folks,

We have a 3 node DL380 G7 cluster ( ESX 5.0 ) , the SAN is 12.5 TB (total) managed via CMC v10.5. We created 3 RAID-10 volumes which left us with approx. 5 TB, to be allocated to a RAID-5 volume and this is where it gets strange.

When we create the RAID-5 volume, we are seeing 2 TB Reported Size  but a Consumed Space value of 4 TB ??! Should we not have the capability to create a 3.5 - 4 TB RAID-5 volume ?? Why is the creation of a RAID-5 volume behaving like RAID-10??!

UPDATE:  I should have added, we are using Full provisioning as opposed to Thin for the RAID-5 volume. If I recreate using Thin, it is created as we would expect. It would appear that Full vs Thin is very different.

I do have a HP Support case open for this, awaiting a response but I thought I'd run this by the experts...

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Small and Medium Business) to HP StoreVirtual Storage / LeftHand. - HP Forum Moderator

BuddyD

2 REPLIES 2
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps if you said what the SAN is? Model, controller version, enclosures, disk type etc.

>> managed via CMC v10.5

So it is probably a Lefthand, aka storevirtual.

Some more details would be helpful.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!