StoreVirtual Storage
1748143 Members
3620 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How long does it take to complete the initial setup?

epols
Occasional Advisor

How long does it take to complete the initial setup?

I have a P4500 14.4 SAN, that has been freshly wiped with SaniQ 9.0. It consists of two nodes, joined together in a single local cluster.

I ran through the getting started setup where it takes you through a wizard setting multiple things such as:

management group, cluster group, which nodes are included, vip, administrator account setup, etc.

At the end you get to the Volume creation, and I set it up to create a 3TB volume with HW Raid 5/ network raid 10.

It appears to keep cycling over and over in the status box saying "waiting for administrator permissions on (hostname for 1st node)" and then to something else which is too brief to catch.

I can't find any logging in the CMC to tell me if there's something wrong or not, and it hasn't errored out in the last 2 hours.

I did chose "full" provisioning, so perhaps it's just taking this long to build a 3TB volume?
7 REPLIES 7
epols
Occasional Advisor

I should mention that it says Press F11 to cancel. The previous time I attempted to set this up (with the factory shipped 8.5 san iq), I ran into this same problem and attributed it to some bug and canceled it. Rather than attempting to do it again, I wiped each node with a fresh image of 9.0. I also did not assign administrator passwords to the nodes at the node level, but rather let CMC log in, where it's trying to assign this information as part of the setup.

The only thing I configured on each node was an IP address and duplex options for each interface. I gave each interface on each node (2 per) a separate IP in the same subnet, but I intend to do adaptive bonding later on.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Did/Can you try setting up the MG and Cluster first? then create the volume afterwards?

I always like to get the cluster up and functional first, before configuing any volumes.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
epols
Occasional Advisor

I'm going to let it continue to run overnight and see if it finally finishes (I doubt it will), but I was able to figure out what it keeps cycling through in the status bar:

1) "Starting" - split second
2) "Waiting 60 seconds to connect and log into (Hostname A) (IP for second NIC on first hostname A)" - This only appears for a split second, not 60 seconds
3) "Waiting for user (admin username) permissions on (Hostname A) (IP for 2nd NIC on Hostname A) in management group (my Management Group Name)" - this stays on for slightly under 2 seconds
4) "Getting the disk report from (Hostname A) (IP for 2nd NIC on Hostname A)"- split second
5) "Getting the ID LED Information from (Hostname A) (IP for 2nd NIC on Hostname A)" - split second

These don't necessarily happen in order, but this is my best guess. The whole cycle is about 2 seconds.

My CMC is on 2008x64 and UAC enabled. I can see repeated spikes in my network adapter at about the same intervals as the above cycles. I'll give it until tomorrow, but if someone has any insight, I'd appreciate it. The documentation said nothing about initial volume creation taking a long time (it did mention that moving volumes could take hours or days),
epols
Occasional Advisor

Well I ended up blowing away everything and starting from scratch. This time I setup everything with the wizard, and then skipped the volume creation. Everything was going fine until it went into another unending loop again, this time only repeating this:
2) "Waiting 60 seconds to connect and log into (Hostname A) (IP for second NIC on first hostname A)" - This only appears for a split second, not 60 seconds
3) "Waiting for user (admin username) permissions on (Hostname A) (IP for 2nd NIC on Hostname A) in management group (my Management Group Name)" - this stays on for slightly under 2 seconds.

Without any sort of logging, I have no idea what the problem is. My system is isolated, so there's no chance of HP being able to look at it remotely. Any ideas?
epols
Occasional Advisor

I ended up starting over again. This time I didn't use underscores "_" in my management group name or my cluster name. That must have been it...
chrmol
Occasional Visitor

I'm having the same problem using ver. 9.5.

First test management group / cluster was removed - and after that I can't re-use them in other (new) clusters.

I tried without "underscores" but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

Make sure you are not using 2 different IPs on the NIC ports. What happens is when node reboots after writing the management group/cluster configuration, second NIC becomes the SANiQ connection which might or might not see CMC and/or another node in the cluster.

If NICs are being treated as one for data and one for management, will always cause trouble. Always use single NIC for installation and then create the ALB or Active/Standby configuration on NIC pair.

My 2 cents.