1748089 Members
4841 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to find what has changed in the snapshots

RJ Gray
Occasional Contributor

How to find what has changed in the snapshots

I have two Lefthand DL320s at one site and a third in a remote site that we copy a snapshot to from our critical volumes.
However these snapshots are significantly larger than any new or changed data at the file level.
I have disabled last access in fsutil and stoped our AV from updating the timestamp, but the size is still larger than I would expect.
Is there a method of seeing what has been changed in the snapshots?

many thanks

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise) to HP StoreVirtual Storage / LeftHand. - Hp Forum moderator

6 REPLIES 6
Amol Garge
Trusted Contributor

Re: How to find what has changed in the snapshots

As a storage admin, you cant see any data in the snapshot..same way you cant see the data in any LUN you can just see the size etc...

The only way to see the data change on the snapshot is to mount it on OS.
RJ Gray
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply, the issue I have is that if I mount my snapshot and look at all the data that has been modified between the previous snapshot and the latest snapshot I get a value of around 125,843KB. However my snapshot size is 18Gb. Do you have any suggestions on how to find out why the large difference?
I need to replicate this data to a remote site, and several disks worth of this make this impossible.
Amol Garge
Trusted Contributor

ok, whats the size of Primary LUN?
RJ Gray
Occasional Contributor

It is 500Gb thin provisioned, with 37Gb used.It is hosted on Windows 2003 SP2 ( Don't know if it makes a difference )
Amol Garge
Trusted Contributor

weird scenario.... weird suggestion:
check for any hidden folders created by VSS...
or any other hidden folders created by some application...I can't think of anything else now...
RJ Gray
Occasional Contributor

It appears that the file access rights were changed on these volumes. Would that create such a large snapshot?