New Discussion юеВ

Hyper-V FOM installation issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
mikael_coreit
Regular Visitor

Hyper-V FOM installation issues

Hi,

I'm trying to install FOM for Hyper-V on a Windows Server 2012 R2 host. I have tried the installations for versions 12.6, 12.5 and 11.5, but I still got to the very same error message:

"Illegal characters in path"

After some own troubleshooting, I added a "\" in the end of both paths (config and VHD) during the setup, for example:

• C:\Hyper-V\Config\
  • C:\Hyper-V\VHD\

This got me further into the installation process. The step "verifying the configuration VHD status" isn't instantly failing anymore (as it did on my previous attempts, without the "\" in the end of the paths), but now I'm stucked at the next step. The error message is:

"The configuration VHD is not found in the disk list"

I'm attaching both the hvsa_deployment log file and a screenshot from the setup.

4 REPLIES 4
mikael_coreit
Regular Visitor

Re: Hyper-V FOM installation issues

An update in my troubleshooting;

I have just tried sharing the local Hyper-V VM-folder (C:\Hyper-V\) and then ran the setup again, typing in the UNC paths instead (for example; "\\10.0.0.100\HyperV\Config" and "\\10.0.0.100\HyperV\VHD"), but such paths wasn't allowed.

So I mapped a network drive towards my share (Z:\Config and Z:\VHD) and ran the setup once again. The result was that I got to the second error message; "The configuration VHD is not found in the disk list".

In other words, still no progress regarding this issue.

oikjn
Honored Contributor
Solution

generally its been a non-standard permission issue with your domain.  The user installing the FOM has to have permission to be able to create the VM and it sounds like you don't.  M$ can sometimes be funny about those permissions.  You can try and figure out your AD security restrictions OR just use Hyper-V on your desktop (assuming win8+ and create the FOM on it and then just export/import it back to the final host and call it a day.

The installer does work on a clean Hyper-V host, but sometimes security restrictions can cause problems like this for the FOM and the VSA. 

mikael_coreit
Regular Visitor

Thanks for your help, oikjn!

I added my domain user to the Hyper-V Administrators group in AD (I'm already in the Enterprise Admins group). Re-added the Hyper-V role on the host and reset the folder settings to default values ("C:\Users\Public\Documents\Hyper-V\Virtual Hard Disks" and "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V"). Didn't help, same issues as I described before.

So I added the Hyper-V role on my Windows 10 computer. Installation of FOM went fine.
I exported the FOM from my computer and tried importing it on the Windows Server 2012 R2 host, but ran into the issue that Hyper-V guests created in a Windows 10 environment will get configuration version 7.0, Windows Server 2012 R2 only supports configuration version 5.0.
So I added the Hyper-V role on a Windows 8.1 computer instead and did the same procedure. Success!

oikjn
Honored Contributor

Its a back way around fixing the real problem, but unless its causing other problems, its just easier to do what I suggested.  We use DPM for backups and I found one day that the backups couldn't restore and I couldn't create the VSAs/FOMs as you described.  It was a while ago and I can't remember the fix offhand, but it was some AD permission thing like the servers required constrained delegation for something and that was our fix...  its since not been an issue and clean server installs also aren't an issue either.  Anyway... if your backups and restores are working just fine and there are no other issues you can come up with than just creation of VSAs, then I would just let it go... but I would suggest you test restores on that host if you aren't already just to be sure.